Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One Year Later - Black Paint

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Purchased my black/black SR+ with 19" sport wheels just over one year ago. Bought it for my daily driver and have enjoyed every minute of it. Before taking delivery I was spooked by all the comments in regards to the black paint being poor quality/scratches easily etc.

I am happy to report that things are still looking good in my opinion. Yes, there are a couple of minor rock chips from sharing the road with dump-trucks and a few minor parking lot scuffs. Also, I have curbed the rims more than I would like to admit but overall, in my opinion, things are pretty good. Granted I am not an amateur car detailer but I did put on a ceramic coating myself on day-one. I wash the car by hand and follow the tips from other forum members - so thank you for all the great advice, I have learned a lot.

IMG_2412.jpg
IMG_2414.jpg

That does look good! Personally, I don't think there is much truth to the whole "soft Tesla paint" that a few people keep hammering on. My wife and I have had our Model 3's for two years and the most protection they have seen is some quality car wax. We drive a lot of bad roads, gravel, rain, snow, etc. and they both look great.

I just bought a used black one two weeks ago. Had swirl marks but no chips. Drove though some fine sand blowing off a truck this week and now the hood is totally pitted. Luckily I’m moving to Mexico and can get a wrap for about $600.

Looks great!
I did a full wrap on mine and there isn't a mark on it. I've owned mine for a 1-1/2 now.

I did the same thing (both PPF and ceramic) also not quite a year ago, and it still looks like a million bucks.

Also if you have curb rash, consider rimsavers to cover and protect. I have them and they're great. Many colors are available, but note that the exact shade may not match the paint, if that's what you want to do. My M3 Is red and the rim savers are also red, but clearly a different shade. Still think it's cool though :)

I did the same thing (both PPF and ceramic) also not quite a year ago, and it still looks like a million bucks.

Also if you have curb rash, consider rimsavers to cover and protect. I have them and they're great. Many colors are available, but note that the exact shade may not match the paint, if that's what you want to do. My M3 Is red and the rim savers are also red, but clearly a different shade. Still think it's cool though :)

Have you ever had a hard strike on a curb with your rim savers?