Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Only supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2013 P85 MS that I bought used in 2018. I used to alternate between charging at home, at work, and at superchargers (but preferred superchargers). Recently, I've been trying to only charge at superchargers since it's free. How much will that affect the battery? I think it used to charge up to ~227 miles when I first bought it, now it is about ~215. Thanks!

It won't affect you that much. Of course, the slow charging is better but these cars are made to last and take the abuse.

If you ever start to notice a big drop in range I would just do a battery calibration by draining the battery down to 1-2% and then charging up to 100% and let it trickle charge until it completely stops, drain it back down to at least 5% and then continue to charge as normal.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I mostly charge at home since it's so convenient for me to gain up to 180 miles of range while I sleep, but I think the reality is that you can baby your car as much as you like but something is going to trigger a fault at some point. I'm not saying to abuse or overuse your car and its components, but you'll likely have HV contactor, pyro fuse, water ingress, inverter, etc cause an issue before your battery sees major degradation from excessive DC charging. Do what you can to best preserve the battery such as not letting the battery sit outside the 20-80 %SOC range for too long.

Reactions: Wol747