Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ONR - I'm a believer now

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought the sponge but I don't use it any more. How can a sponge with all those cuts collecting dirt not scratch the car? People use it and swear by it, but how does it work?
The cross cut sponge works because of the greater surface area created by the cuts in the surface of the sponge. You make one pass with the cross cut sponge, i.e. left to right or top to bottom. You should never go back across the same part of the vehicle panel without flipping the cross cut sponge around to expose a clean section or turning over the cross cut sponge.

After cleaning a panel you wring out the cross cut sponge in the bucket of ONR solution. The sponge releases the ONR solution along with the dirt into the bucket. It is important to have a well designed grit guard in the bottom of the bucket. I used to mix 2 gallons of water and ONR in the bucket but now I mix 3 gallons of water and ONR (I fill a small spray bottle with some of the water and ONR solution from the bucket before I start washing.)

If the vehicle is very dirty it would be best to first rinse off the vehicle if possible before cleaning with the sponge and ONR. Start washing from the top down, front to rear. Clean the lower door panels and the rear of the vehicle last as these panels are usually where most of the dirt collects. You can use the cross cut sponge and ONR to clean the glass, glass roof but it may be hard to reach the entire roof surface with the sponge. Dry each panel or glass section with a clean part of a microfiber cloth as soon as you have wiped the panel or glass with the sponge. (I can dry off the Tesla Model Y using 2 or 3 medium size micro fiber towels.)

When finished you just run the cross cut sponge under cold or luke warm water in a sink. Close inspection after use has shown that almost no dirt particles remain trapped in the cross cut sponge. (Only use cold water when washing microfiber towels and wash cloths. Only air fluff (no heat) in the dryer or hang to dry.)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: fsb1 and zoomer0056