Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ONR - I'm a believer now

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another shout out for Optimum No-Rinse wash. Never heard/used it before owning a Tesla, and oh boy I wish I had. This stuff is amazing. I just did a maintenance hand wash, and it only took 20 minunites. 20 minutes to get my car sparkling clean including the windows! That's nuts. The key, of course, is work one side at a time, and wipe down along the way so that the water doesn't have a chance to dry and form spots on the finish.

Great product, highly recommended.

I love ONR. I've used it for years on my ceramic-coated cars. 90% of the time, this is how I wash — with a properly coated car, and doing an ONR maintenance wash once a week or so, yeah 20 minutes and you're done. And I can do it year around inside my garage. In the winter I might just occasionally take my car to the no-touch car wash to blast off the heavy stuff, then do ONR at home.

One tip on the drying front: get a quick detailing spray like Griot's Speed Shine and use it with your drying towel as a drying aid. Works wonders to help prevent spots.

Reactions: Mulkogi
Ive heard of this. What are the steps?

I'm sure there are tons of YouTube videos showing it but basically, as long as your car isn't too dirty:

1. Get two buckets; one with water + ONR, one with plain water (for rinsing your towel/mitt)
  2. Wipe a panel with the water+ONR (from the first bucket) on your towel. Rinse the towel in the second bucket.
  3. Repeat #2, folding over to a clean section of your wash towel and changing towels periodically as it starts to get dirty. How many wash towels you'll need depends on how dirty the car is.
  4. Dry with a drying aid (e.g. the Griot's Speed Shine I recommended above) and a soft microfiber waffle weave towel.
Basically the ONR acts as a lubricant that traps and picks up dirt. Do not scrub — I use basically no pressure at all. If you have to scrub to get dirt off, you should (a) ceramic coat your car, (b) do a more intensive real wash with a full hose/foam cannon setup.

• Helpful
Reactions: zoomer0056
I use one bucket wash with ONR because ONR themselves says that their product has molecules designed to trap and bring dirt to the bottom of the bucket. You'll need one of those wash bucket grit guard however. I've used this one for the past 9 years successfully in a Homer bucket.

To each, their own though. So YMMV.

Reactions: Fourdoor
Towels? I use a bucket wash method with a microfiber wash mitt, then dry with drying towels. It usually takes 2-3 towels to dry the whole car enough to prevent water spots. I've been using ONR since I got the car 5 years ago, and I love it. 190,000 miles and still looking pretty good. There are some swirls from hasty wash jobs on the road, and that one time when hubby decided to help. 😬

Reactions: fsb1
I use the ultimate black sponge and i don't know how, but ONR + UBS hasn't caused me any swirls. This video helped me with getting the process down:

I was lucky enough to attend a "Tech Day" with my Porsche club at The Rag Co. headquarters here in Boise Idaho. They washed a very dirty 981 Cayman using the ONR method in the video above. I was sold! I now wash my Boxster S only with ONR and a grit guard bucket. ONR even does a fabulous job on the canvas top. Two thumbs up to the Rag. Co. if you need great deals on quality microfiber products too.

Reactions: qpalzm