Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Open door, alarm goes off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This seems to happen every month or two. My car is parked in the garage and I'll approach it to get in. The door handles present, I pull to open the door, and the alarm goes off. Today this happened after cleaning the car. The car also installed a software update last night without issue. I'm not sure if these events are related as I'm not planning for the alarm to go off. This only seems to happen at home, so I'm leaning towards it being software update related, but not sure. I cannot remember if this happened with my 2015 or not. Is this worth putting in a ticket for or is there some other thing to check short of disabling the alarm outright? I don't believe that can be done based on location so I'd like to leave that on.

I occasionally park the car outside so I have it lock even at home. What's strange is that the car obviously recognizes the key and presents the handles / unlocks the car, but then acts like it shouldn't have done that when I open it.

You said this only happens at home. I vaguely recall a discussion in which this was found to happen after using summon. And this has happened to me back when I owned a S. Not sure if it’s still an issue. Are you using summon when parking in the garage?

I have discovered why my alarm is going off. NOT TESLA SOFTWARE. User error. I can recreate it. When I use summon (key fob summon--not smart summon) to back into my garage, it seems to lock and arm its security system despite "exclude home" status in the menu. I do this very rarely, but now I know its me and not software updates.

Hmm, I wonder if that's an additional situation that causes the security system to freak out. With the lip on my garage floor, the car will stop moving when I try to use summon to bring it in. I've backed the car out of the garage numerous times and I can't recall it freaking out.

In my case, the car is also not locked. Had a software update last night, drove the car today, no problem.