Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Open Source Teslalogger on Raspberry / Docker with ScanMyTesla integration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trying to do manual install.

I think I'm good with updates and dependencies, docker and docker-compose.

Not 100% sure docker is running as the hello world test fails.

aspberrypi:~ $ docker run hello-world
Unable to find image 'hello-world:latest' locally
latest: Pulling from library/hello-world
4ee5c797bcd7: Pulling fs layer
docker: open /var/lib/docker/tmp/GetImageBlob176918258: no such file or directory.

Any way, this is where I am stuck:

@raspberrypi:~ $ cp TeslaLogger/App.config TeslaLogger/bin/TeslaLogger.exe.config
cp: cannot stat 'TeslaLogger/App.config': No such file or directory

What am I missing?

Thanks.

Looks like I was in wrong directory.....

Carrying on....

I didn't test it on a Pi Zero W, but I think it is very slow. I woldn't recomand it.
Actually we don't have an import tool from TeslaMate - just for TeslaFi. But we get more and more requests about an import tool.
Also don't you need a 64bit os for the DB? I had an old odroid u3 that I was going to try and run the doxker image on but thought I read it needed a 64bit Os?

Yes, MariaDB needs a 64bit OS.

But Buster has 64 bit mode, no?

IMG_20200620_201627.jpg

Docker on Raspberry:
As the official MariaDB Docker image is not supporting 32Bit OS, it seems like there are only 2 changes necessary to run it on a Raspberry.

Original:
database:
image: mariadb:10.4.7
New:
database:
image: jsurf/rpi-mariadb

After first successful run, comment out this line or just delete it:
- ./TeslaLogger/sqlschema.sql:/docker-entrypoint-initdb.d/sqlschema.sql

Docker on Raspberry:
As the official MariaDB Docker image is not supporting 32Bit OS, it seems like there are only 2 changes necessary to run it on a Raspberry.

Original:
database:
image: mariadb:10.4.7
New:
database:
image: jsurf/rpi-mariadb

After first successful run, comment out this line or just delete it:
- ./TeslaLogger/sqlschema.sql:/docker-entrypoint-initdb.d/sqlschema.sql

Sounds hopeful. I have tried so many alternative configurations I have lost the plot somewhat!

I had been using Buster with the 64 bit flag in config set on. Here: Docker Hub it mentions Stretch.

I'm assuming there are far more knowledgeable folks out there than me on the subject of security.....So, how much of a risk do you guys seeing opening the requisite ports to your Rpi? Seems like an entrance point for hackers if you Rpi server/software has any security holes and might allow the uninvited onto your home network? Am I being paranoid?

Well, if anybody find a security hole in Teslalogger or the Rpi, it has exactly the same possibilities like any app you installed on your smarphone, when it's connected to your wifi. Or all devices like smart tv, smart speakers / lights / switches with acces to your wifi.
So it is not very smart to have a file server at home with admin/admin credentials.

Well, if anybody find a security hole in Teslalogger or the Rpi, it has exactly the same possibilities like any app you installed on your smarphone, when it's connected to your wifi. Or all devices like smart tv, smart speakers / lights / switches with acces to your wifi.
So it is not very smart to have a file server at home with admin/admin credentials.
I'm more thinking about exposing port 80 all the time to the Rpi. Seems any constantly open port has more chances of being discovered by nefarious hackers. I'm pretty sure anyone with port forwarding (especially port 80) are constantly being probed.

I'm more thinking about exposing port 80 all the time to the Rpi. Seems any constantly open port has more chances of being discovered by nefarious hackers. I'm pretty sure anyone with port forwarding (especially port 80) are constantly being probed.

You can chose a different port for external usage. If you are affraid of port 80, you can use any port you want.

Reactions: tren01t
If you intend to open ports through your router, I'd strongly recommend doing so on non-default ports. 80, 8080, 443, 8443 etc are very popular and likely probed frequently. At best, it's extra traffic on your devices. At worst, someone finds a vulnerability and does some kind of damage.
Everything has some sort of vulnerability; it's just a matter of someone finding and exploiting it.

If you're OK with only accessing it via WiFi in the car, don't forward anything. Of course this means you can only do it at home.

In any case, like bassmaster said, never use default credentials like admin/admin (c:

• Love
Reactions: bassmaster
If you intend to open ports through your router, I'd strongly recommend doing so on non-default ports. 80, 8080, 443, 8443 etc are very popular and likely probed frequently. At best, it's extra traffic on your devices. At worst, someone finds a vulnerability and does some kind of damage.
Everything has some sort of vulnerability; it's just a matter of someone finding and exploiting it.

If you're OK with only accessing it via WiFi in the car, don't forward anything. Of course this means you can only do it at home.

In any case, like bassmaster said, never use default credentials like admin/admin (c:

Plus if you are really affraid about hacking, you could use a VPN to your Home Network to get access to the Teslalogger or other devices / services you have. Most Routers have build in VPN Server - check their manual. BUT keep your router firmware updated!!! Router often tend to have vulnerabilitys...

Plus if you are really affraid about hacking, you could use a VPN to your Home Network to get access to the Teslalogger or other devices / services you have. Most Routers have build in VPN Server - check their manual. BUT keep your router firmware updated!!! Router often tend to have vulnerabilitys...

There's probably a few ways to handle this (I, for example, don't have a VPN but I'm pulling some trickery via SSH tunnel) -- None I know work with the car itself though, unfortunately.