Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Open up that revenue stream!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After noticing the offering of Homelink for $300 on the Tesla store, I'm hoping that's just the beginning for us SR/SR+ owners. While the Homelink is not an item I'm necessarily interested in, I would absolutely pay for the web browsing/music capability and Elon couldn't take my money fast enough if they offered an audio upgrade that included additional speakers and the subwoofer. With the plan of having SR/SR+ vehicles the bulk of sales, I would guess that those offerings could bring some much needed revenue.

Reactions: Leafdriver333
I don’t think it will happen. If they make it too easy to buy the cheapest trim level and then pick and choose the upgrades you want too many people will switch from buying the higher end models to the ala carte plan. Tesla wants to sell the AWD and Performance models, or at a minimum the SR+ with AP now included. If you look at the cars in inventory (at least in my zip code), there is not a single SR+ model with 18” wheels available. So if your want the car now you take the 19” wheels. More profit for Tesla.

The SR model is not a big money maker for Tesla, and if you let people start buying and then upgrading features here and there for a few hundred dollars a piece it will become too good of deal. Everyone will want one, and that won’t help the bottom line.

Last edited:
After noticing the offering of Homelink for $300 on the Tesla store, I'm hoping that's just the beginning for us SR/SR+ owners. While the Homelink is not an item I'm necessarily interested in, I would absolutely pay for the web browsing/music capability and Elon couldn't take my money fast enough if they offered an audio upgrade that included additional speakers and the subwoofer. With the plan of having SR/SR+ vehicles the bulk of sales, I would guess that those offerings could bring some much needed revenue.

web browsing/music capability/premium connectivity i can see that coming.

For the Audio Upgrade with Additional Speakers and Subwoofers I highly doubt it as there are missing wiring harness to the amp/subwoofers.

I don’t think it will happen. If they make it too easy to buy the cheapest trim level and then pick and choose the upgrades you want too many people will switch from buying the higher end models to the ala carte plan. Tesla wants to sell the AWD and Performance models, or at a minimum the SR+ with AP now included. If you look at the cars in inventory (at least in my zip code), there is not a single SR+ model with 18” wheels available. So if your want the car now you take the 19” wheels. More profit for Tesla.

The SR model is not a big money maker for Tesla, and if you let people start buying and then upgrading features here and there for a few hundred dollars a piece it will be come too good of deal. Everyone will want one, and that won’t help the bottom line.
I see your point. I believe the SR will go away and it will be the SR+ with some additional purchases like the homelink and browsing/music. Hoping for the speakers might just be a dream but that would be cool.

Maybe the lack of SR+ with 18" is because they are flying off the shelves? Ha, maybe wishful thinking but I ordered one and got it delivered in a week, fresh from factory to Florida.

Reactions: Leafdriver333
I should have just bought a $35K SR and pay for upgrades to make it a LR. Seems like it’ll be cheaper that way.

There is most likely no path to upgrade the SR/SR+ to LR. I have the MR and a month later they brought back the LR RWD and priced it the same as what I paid for my MR. When I contacted them about upgrading to a LR battery they said there was not path to upgrade MR to LR. So doubt an SR/SR+ can be upgraded either.

There is most likely no path to upgrade the SR/SR+ to LR. I have the MR and a month later they brought back the LR RWD and priced it the same as what I paid for my MR. When I contacted them about upgrading to a LR battery they said there was not path to upgrade MR to LR. So doubt an SR/SR+ can be upgraded either.

I know. Figure of speech on how everyone wants to just pay for individual upgrades. And if tesla keeps allowing that it’ll price out cheaper then buying the higher model version.

Tesla already states on their faq an option to purchase premium connectivity (Maps and web browser) is coming later this year.

I'm still looking forward for this option upgrade but problem is that which "This year" is that? This year as 2018/2019/2020? There are lots of SR+ users got the premium connectivity for a short period of time after software upgrade but disappear. Maybe we are getting closer for that? Who knows

It is the worst part of Tesla. Their lack of streamlined communication. I agree with you completely! No year listed, and nobody knows a thing. Each person you talk to has a different answer. I love the car and enjoy it but once the others advance in charging network, and their own AP it’ll be a game changing. And people won’t put up with communication issues.

It is the worst part of Tesla. Their lack of streamlined communication. I agree with you completely! No year listed, and nobody knows a thing. Each person you talk to has a different answer. I love the car and enjoy it but once the others advance in charging network, and their own AP it’ll be a game changing. And people won’t put up with communication issues.

Yes, don't get me started with their "communication" issues! They are definitely fighting a lots of self inflicted battle (SR/SR+ downgrade for example) and these premium connectivity options might be really down on the bottom of their to do list.

I don’t think it will happen. If they make it too easy to buy the cheapest trim level and then pick and choose the upgrades you want too many people will switch from buying the higher end models to the ala carte plan.

While I generally agree with you, I think with the elimination of the MR there's a big gap between the SR+ and the LR. I can absolutely understand not providing such options to those with an SR, since allowing customers to go a la carte would probably hurt profitability (I doubt they make much on the SR). However, I think offering additional options to the SR+ makes a lot of sense. Smaller features such as web browsing, streaming music and the like are not going to convince anyone to drop another $7-10k on an LR vs and SR+, so why not monetize them for additional revenue? Since all SRs are software upgradable to the SR+, I can see them requiring an upgrade before any additional packages are added.