Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opening between trunk room and cabin interior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have model 3 delivered in 10/2018. I recently found in the trunk room something that appears incomplete, as shown in the attached picture #1. I have another model 3 delivered in 12/2018, whose pic of the same spot is attached as #2.
I made a service request to Tesla to close the opening, as the #2 picture shows. They replied that I have to pay for it because my model 3 is manufactured as that.

Picture#1.jpg
Picture#2.jpg

My question is if the meshed opening on the rear shelf is closed from the underside of the truck room, as shown in the attached picture#2, or not closed, as shown in Picture#1.
Picture #1 was delivered on 10/18, and picture #2 was on 12/18.
I appreciate it if anyone owing Model 3 delivered in 2018 or earlier posts which way yours is done.

Picture#1xxx.jpg
Picture#2xxx.jpg

I think a part not installed at the production line means a manufacturing defect. Do you mean correcting the defect is done only within the warranty period?

You are free to look through the Tesla warranty information, and point out to them where it says that something like this is supposed to be covered forever.

Manufacturing defect has nothing to do with the warranty. The manufacturer's warranty covers only those changes happened after consumer took delivery of it.
Warranties cover manufacturing defects. That's the whole point of a warranty! Once the warranty expires, it's your problem (unless you get an extended warranty). Do you actually expect a manufacturer to cover a car forever?

From the warranty page:
"These warranties cover the repair or replacement necessary to correct defects in the materials or workmanship of any parts manufactured or supplied by Tesla, which occur under normal use."

From the warranty:
"Subject to separate coverage for certain parts and the exclusions and limitations described in this New Vehicle Limited Warranty, the Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty covers the repair or replacement necessary to correct defects in the materials or workmanship of any parts manufactured or supplied by Tesla under normal use for a period of 4 years or 50,000 miles(80,000 km), whichever comes first."
https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/tesla-new-vehicle-limited-warranty-en-us.pdf

As for the vent opening, as far as I know, for cars with it, it was open. I haven't seen it being blocked up by foam like in your second picture. Supposedly that vent is used to equalize the pressure in the trunk, so it should be open. Later models removed that vent completely (my 2021 model has metal there).
Pictures of production Model 3s

Edit, from a search. It seems in some cars there was some foam there from factory in 2019. In either case, neither can be considered a defect, but rather just how it was manufactured.
Rear deck cutout

Last edited:
My question is if the meshed opening on the rear shelf is closed from the underside of the truck room, as shown in the attached picture#2, or not closed, as shown in Picture#1.
Picture #1 was delivered on 10/18, and picture #2 was on 12/18.
I appreciate it if anyone owing Model 3 delivered in 2018 or earlier posts which way yours is done.

View attachment 977710View attachment 977711
Tesla is correct in their position. During the manufacture of the Model 3 a change was made to close off the mesh opening in the shelf between the rear seat and the trunk. The fact that one is not closed off is not a defect but rather a different design. If you choose to update the vehicle to the newer design it is at your cost.