TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Rear deck cutout

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by Dbregmam, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Dbregmam

Dbregmam Member

So I have see this a few places, including this video (at :51)

A glass window in the rear deck that let's light into the trunk:
    Glass in trunk.PNG

I just looked at mine (delivered 2 weeks ago) and it looks like this:
    MVIMG_20190115_161747.jpg

Anyone know why the difference? I can only imagine for sound dampening.

• Informative x 3
    • Love x 1
  2. Eno Deb

Eno Deb Active Member

Interesting. First I see this. What kind of fabric is it? Does it feel like it lets air through easily?

3. Dbregmam

Dbregmam Member

It is almost like a charcoal filter type of fabric. A rough open weave.

4. Eno Deb

Eno Deb Active Member

Then I guess it has to be for sound dampening. It hasn't been officially confirmed, but the opening most likely has multiple purposes that require it to be air permeable (pressure equalization to make trunk lid and doors easier to close, exit vent for air pumped into the cabin by the HVAC system, and possibly air duct for the subwoofer in the trunk).

• Informative x 1
  5. Needsdecaf

Needsdecaf Member

I don’t think he was prefect with the glass. When viewed in certain lights, the mesh is quite transparent. Check out Doug DeMuro’s video. I could be wrong but...

6. Eno Deb

Eno Deb Active Member

There was no glass in the older builds, just the mesh. It has nothing to do with letting light into the trunk.

Sound dampening would make a lot of sense since a lot of the road noise seems to enter the cabin from the trunk. You can also hear every little rattle if you are transporting something in the trunk.

Hopefully they'll make the piece of fabric available to owners of the older builds ...

7. ChuckieDude

ChuckieDude Member

Wow. I had the mesh on my car (November delivery) and used a small pillow as a similar solution. It made the car a little quieter. I then completely sealed it with noico sound deadening foam.

The doors are harder to close but car is now quieter.

• Informative x 1
  8. Magnets!

Magnets! Member

Hmm, is that sound deadening material something new? Mine just has mesh and is quite transparent.

9. Magnets!

Magnets! Member

I wonder if it's possible to request one of these from Tesla?

• Like x 1
  10. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

Do you notice a decrease in the subwoofer sound?

I have been very tempted to cover that hole up in my car.

• Like x 1
  11. mswlogo

mswlogo Active Member

I noticed subdued subwoofer when I tried to cover it with a layer of foam from underneath. It definitely helped road noise. But I removed it.

This is encouraging. Even if they don’t release a retrofit part we can always copy it. Assuming no other alteration is designed to go with it.

• Informative x 1
  12. StealthP3D

StealthP3D Active Member

That port into the trunk is the only way for the air that enters the cabin through the climate control to exit the cabin on it's way to the two rear side exit portlets. The car is very air-tight so blocking that vent is not a good idea. With recirculate off and the windows and doors closed you will get very little air flow through the heater/A/C.

Not a good idea.

• Informative x 2
  13. Magnets!

Magnets! Member

ok but you saw the picture above with the baffle inserted from the factory right? Every other car I've owned seems to have figured out airflow without a huge cutout in the trunk. Shrug.

• Love x 1
  14. StealthP3D

StealthP3D Active Member

The size of the cut-out is dictated by the design airflow volume at maximum climate control fan speed. The placement is the same as on my Volvo S80 and I can't really think of a more appropriate location so I'm not really following you there.

• Disagree x 1
  15. Magnets!

Magnets! Member

The first post in this thread shows a sound baffle that was provided from the factory, indicating that perhaps Tesla had a shortage of these and that's why many of us have a big hole in the rear deck. Perhaps holes in the rear deck are a Volvo thing, but they are not anything I've seen in the 15 or so cars I've owned in my life.

16. ChuckieDude

ChuckieDude Member

Where are the rear side exit portlets. I pull out the carpet to put in noico and didn’t see any holes. Hopefully I didn’t block the portlet holes with noico...

17. StealthP3D

StealthP3D Active Member

Near the top of the rear of the trunk on the left and right sides.

18. StealthP3D

StealthP3D Active Member

Yeah, if I see something that's new to me, I automatically assume it must not be any good.

After all, I'm familiar with the old way of doing things so everything different must be inferior or wrong, right?

19. Eno Deb

Eno Deb Active Member

The factory part is probably a special fabric that is air permeable. It doesn't mean that sealing the vent airtight is a good idea.
    Vents in the rear deck are actually quite common in sedans. Ford, BMW and others have very similar ones.

20. Magnets!

Magnets! Member

I never said sealing it air tight was a good idea, in fact I think earlier in this thread I said the opposite. I also never said that other cars don't have vents, but I have never seen a hole this large. So I guess the question is....are the cars without the baffle missing something or was the baffle something that Tesla tried and decided against? Tesla is known for inconsistencies with some cars simply missing parts for whatever reason....manufacturing error, supply issues...probably a little of each. If someone has access to the parts catalog, perhaps they could look up that baffle piece and see if it officially exists. Yes, I agree the baffle is probably air permeable or allows air to flow around it.