Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opening the trunk in the rain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Compared to my Model X, I am not impressed with how water splashes into the trunk when it is opened during a rainstorm. The rain tends to easily splash right rough the gutter rims of the trunk... on the other hand Model X does a great job in handling this.

Compared to my Model X, I am not impressed with how water splashes into the trunk when it is opened during a rainstorm. The rain tends to easily splash right rough the gutter rims of the trunk... on the other hand Model X does a great job in handling this.

Lol yep serious design flaw. Try rolling down your window when it is raining. Waterfall into the car as well

I don’t have any issues with model 3 truck opening in rain. I’m a 19K VIN. I have a nice weather stripping that catches the rain. Totally agree with opening the windows though. Rain definitely gets into the cabin from the windows.

I don’t have any issues with model 3 truck opening in rain. I’m a 19K VIN. I have a nice weather stripping that catches the rain. Totally agree with opening the windows though. Rain definitely gets into the cabin from the windows.

Really? There’s a huge weatherstrip but the rain slides right past it from the back window into the trunk lol. If it is light rain it might not do this but moderate rain does it.

Yep, light rain is fine.
When the rain gets heavier, the rain dribbles right over the lip of the weatherstrip, and dumps into the trunk!!! Next time I get the chance, I’ll take a video of this (or anyone else if it rains there first)

• Informative
Reactions: BM3LRPUP19
As soon as 3dMaxpider Kagu comes out with their trunk cargo mat (waterproof) I'll be picking one up. At least it will offer some protection for the carpeting and anything stored below in the recessed trunk area and will collect the water that gets into the cargo area if you grab something from your trunk, walk away without closing it completely, and then it rains.

Weathertech already has a trunk cargo mat out there for the Model 3 that can be ordered now on the Tesla site ($130). What I noticed about it though is that it's one big piece and not sure how you would gain access to your recessed trunk portion with it in place. Typically the 3dMaxpider Kagu mats for cargo areas in various cars are "foldable" and I believe this will be the case for the Model 3 version when it comes out (see photos on PartCatalog's website under the Photos tab: 3D MAXpider Kagu Rubber Floor Mats). This is not yet available to purchase however so if you are heading into rainy season already you might not have a good choice in what you can order at this point.

I've been wanting a mat in the back anyway because the felt is getting worn . One of my gripes about the car is the felt, it's horribly cheap feeling compared to the carpet in the rest of the car. Feels like such a poor design esp since the board underneath feels like cheap also (anyone know? ).

I love the idea of mats that fold as I keep grocery bags etc inside the well and use it often. My issue with mats is that they usually off gas something awful. I'm very chemically sensitive and I had to remove the rubber inserts in all the door nooks and console when I got the car. Everything else is amazingly chemically inert but those tiny rubber inserts left a smell for a few days after removal and that was months after we got the car (I drove my husband's S for the first few months). So I'm looking for a mat that will lose the new rubber smell quickly if I let it sit - does anyone know if that exists?

Yep, light rain is fine.
When the rain gets heavier, the rain dribbles right over the lip of the weatherstrip, and dumps into the trunk!!! Next time I get the chance, I’ll take a video of this (or anyone else if it rains there first)
I saw a Twitter photo of a avalanche into the trunk space during a recent snowfall in Calgary. Note to you cold climate folks - clear your back window BEFORE you pop the trunk!

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
I've been wanting a mat in the back anyway because the felt is getting worn . One of my gripes about the car is the felt, it's horribly cheap feeling compared to the carpet in the rest of the car. Feels like such a poor design esp since the board underneath feels like cheap also (anyone know? ).

I love the idea of mats that fold as I keep grocery bags etc inside the well and use it often. My issue with mats is that they usually off gas something awful. I'm very chemically sensitive and I had to remove the rubber inserts in all the door nooks and console when I got the car. Everything else is amazingly chemically inert but those tiny rubber inserts left a smell for a few days after removal and that was months after we got the car (I drove my husband's S for the first few months). So I'm looking for a mat that will lose the new rubber smell quickly if I let it sit - does anyone know if that exists?

I'm somewhat sensitive to certain materials as well and frequently bothered by fragrances and material offgassing so understand your situation. We have now purchased 2 sets of the 3DMaxpider Kagu mats for our cars (Model S and 3) and can't say I've had any issues with them. One of the things I read about the Kagu custom fit items early on was that the material was non-toxic and odorless. Here's their website page discussing the material they are made from: 3D® Custom Fit Floor & Cargo Liner | Redefine Protection

The unfortunate part is that right now only the floor mats are available for the Model 3 (Model S and some versions for Model X have been available for a while). I just placed my pre-order for the Model 3 frunk mat with Part Catalog and they've said on the forum here that there is a cargo mat for the Model 3 that is in the works but knowing how long the Model 3 floor mats took from scanning to protyping to manufacture and delivery to the USA (never in quantities it seems to be enough for everyone that wants them), I don't expect to see the cargo mat for several months at least. No pre-orders available yet either which indicates they are still out a ways.