Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opinions on options, toys, bells & whistles – and how it affects your decision on battery capacity.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I feel like I'm in the minority here, but wanted to see if there are others out there who think and purchase in a similar way. And of course I'm open to hearing others' reasoning as to why they might disagree.

After lots of thought, I ended up going with a Model S 90D and went very light on the options. In fact, the only thing I really wanted was the panoramic sunroof, so that's what I got. The rest is base. Several people mentioned that the standard textile seats are great. I don't need bioweapon defense filter, premium lighting, ultra hi-fi, this and that, or EAP/self-driving right off the bat – I can wait and see how the technology shapes up. These things add up to lots of $$. So I figured I'd pass on those, squeeze the budget just a little further, and get the absolute best range possible (and the increased performance and AWD that come with it).

When I think about it, I still would have saved my money on options even if I had stuck with my initial order of a 60. The main reason I'm big into Tesla is the all-electric drivetrain awesomeness. I don't care for luxury cars. I would have never, ever spent this kind of money on an ICE vehicle, ever. So it made a whole lot more sense to forego luxuries in favor of better range and performance.

What do y'all think?

I agree with you in principle on maximizing range, but if I were to replace my 85, I would have a hard time justifying the extra cost of a 90D over a 75D, but for road trips, the 90D would be the better choice.

The only suggestion I would make is that you may reconsider leather seats. When it comes time to sell the car, most people will expect leather seats in a car this expensive and it may be harder to sell without them. Just do a search of the CPO cars and you will see that non-leather cars are usually listed for much less than those with leather. Also, are the non-leather seats heated? I find that the heated seats really helps me not need to run the main heater as much as I otherwise would need to. Just my two cents.

As msnow says, you're going to love the car.

I got premium interior - because Tesla's interior is meh!
I got pano roof, I wish I had the solid glass roof option.
And I wish I had gotten heated steering wheel.
And I went for the smaller battery and D.

To each their own. I'm fairly happy with my purchase. Range has never been an issue.

I'm with you, a few years ago I never, ever would have remotely considered dropping 100 grand on a car; seriously WTF!

Several hours of Tesla research later and here I am!

Am not a luxury guy either but figured what the hell, since I'm spending this much anyway what's a few more grand for some perks. The autopilot is really neat and would recommend getting it!

Reactions: CHG-ON
I totally agree on spending so much on a car. I would have never considered it except for the MS. And honestly, the much lower running costs did factor into it. That was my rationalization, at least.

No second guessing allowed! We all get what works for us. I got all the performance, sound and tech options, because those matter to me, in that order. I didn't go for anything that I perceived as being extraneous (because I can't spell surplufuous dammit!) to the driving experience for me. Though I will admit, if they had the heated steering wheel, I would have popped for the cold weather pkg, even in NoCA.

Reactions: msnow