Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opti-Guard on Vegan Leather?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the white interior and considering putting on a protectant. I shopped around and 1 detailer said it wasn't necessary and another said they would advise the protectant.

Has anyone out there applied a protectant to the vegan leather? If so, what was your experience? Was it worth it?

Last edited:
Many people have applied Gyeon Leather Shield, a ceramic coating formulated for leather. Plenty of YouTube reviews about this one, but it’s been out of stock everywhere lately from what I can tell.

Q² LeatherShield ceramic leather coating - Gyeon Quartz

I have purchased Adams Leather & Vinyl Coating, also a ceramic coating... I’ll report back after it’s applied. (I don’t have my Y quite yet)

Adam's UV Leather & Vinyl Coating - Adam's Polishes

I’m also going to try the Adam’s coating when I take delivery. I just changed my order to white interior today. Love the way it looks.

Reactions: decrypt
isn't "vegan leather" just a fancy way of saying vinyl? in the 80's it was called Naugahyde. As long as the vegan leather holds up as well as modern synthetic leathers I'll be happy, but I would have liked an option for real leather. As for protecting it, is there a recommendation in the manual?

one benefit if vinyl is it cleans easily and doesn't stain as easily as real leather, and you can scrub without scratching it like leather.

Mercedes calls theirs MBTex

vinyls have come a long ways and arguably feel better than leather on lower end cars, but I haven’t found a synthetic that feels as good as Nappa leather yet.

Other than wiping them down with a vinyl cleaner do they need any type of preservative or conditioner like leather?

Reactions: Kelr316
I've installed Opti-Guard Leather on many many Tesla white interiors and not one client has been dissatisfied or thought it wasn't worth the cost.
However I have several other Telsa clients that thought it was too much or "they watched a few YouTube videos where the guy says it's a waste of money", whom later return to me to ask if I can get that blue-jean dye transfer, ink from a magazine, transfer from a newspaper, etc. off their seats.
Like almost anything else, you'll find opinions on both sides.

I've installed Opti-Guard Leather on many many Tesla white interiors and not one client has been dissatisfied or thought it wasn't worth the cost.
However I have several other Telsa clients that thought it was too much or "they watched a few YouTube videos where the guy says it's a waste of money", whom later return to me to ask if I can get that blue-jean dye transfer, ink from a magazine, transfer from a newspaper, etc. off their seats.
Like almost anything else, you'll find opinions on both sides.
And what is a ball park/range on the cost?