Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Order modified by Tesla the day before collection!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just had an email from Tesla 'Confirming your Model 3 update'. It was sent after the phone line has closed, 5 minutes ago, so I can't call and see what is going on. It appears they have removed my gray 20" wheels! This is after I had an email saying I had been 'upgraded' to them, my car in the manage page on the website showing them, and my final invoice showing them as gray.

I'm fuming that they'd make a change less than 24 hours from delivery. It adds insult to it that they are 'confirming 'my' update to the order', as if I made the change myself. Can't believe the audacity.

Has anyone heard of something similar happening? There will be strong words used in Tesla Birmingham tomorrow if they've changed my car or it isn't there.

I just had an email from Tesla 'Confirming your Model 3 update'. It was sent after the phone line has closed, 5 minutes ago, so I can't call and see what is going on. It appears they have removed my gray 20" wheels! This is after I had an email saying I had been 'upgraded' to them, my car in the manage page on the website showing them, and my final invoice showing them as gray.

I'm fuming that they'd make a change less than 24 hours from delivery. It adds insult to it that they are 'confirming 'my' update to the order', as if I made the change myself. Can't believe the audacity.

Has anyone heard of something similar happening? There will be strong words used in Tesla Birmingham tomorrow if they've changed my car or it isn't there.

Yes, after they gave me my VIN and I obtained my loan they modified my order to add $5500 22" wheels to my MX order. They will now not honor my order and say they will have to build a new car.!!!

Whether this is reasonable, in terms of the law that covers sales of goods, or not, depends on the car as described in the original purchase agreement, not any subsequent changes, unless a new agreement was created by the exchange of a further consideration (i.e. you paid them more money)..

Did you order and pay a deposit on a car with grey or silver wheels?

If you ordered a car with grey wheels, and they've chosen to charge your order to a car with silver wheels, then you have a pretty solid case for refusing the car, on the basis that it is not as described at the time of the order.

If you ordered a car with silver wheels, and they later offered you grey wheels, then retracted that offer, then I think the situation is far less clear. I don't believe they are under any obligation to do anything other than deliver a car that matches the original order.

In terms of keeping the customer happy (seems a pretty low priority with Tesla in general, IMHO) then they would be well advised to honour their offer to supply the car with grey wheels.

Hey Oliver - if it makes you feel any better it’s not unlike Tesla to have messed up communications.... you could find when you arrive the car has black wheels as you would like. Fingers crossed for you that this is the case - keep us informed how you
get on, and good luck!