Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Order of powering boxes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jboy210

Supporting Member
Dec 2, 2016
Northern California
Today we had our final inspection and the inspector said the order of powering up the boxes should be Generation Panel breakers 1st then inverters. The installer said Inverters first and then Generation Panel breakers.

What do others do, and does it matter?

Today we had our final inspection and the inspector said the order of powering up the boxes should be Generation Panel breakers 1st then inverters. The installer said Inverters first and then Generation Panel breakers.

What do others do, and does it matter?
Not sure if it matters too much unless there is a specific issue to test/debug. For us, Tesla left all the breakers on after they installed the roof and the only thing that they turned off was the inverter. Once we got PTO, all we had to do was turn the inverter back on.

Between inspection and PTO, for off-grid operations, we would flip the service disconnect breaker on the gateway and then turn on the inverter. To return to on-grid operations, we would first turn off the inverter and then turn the service disconnect breaker back on.

Reactions: preilly44
I was told AC first, then DC. So turn the breakers on first, then rotate the DC connection switch on the inverters.

That said, it probably doesn’t really matter too much. Even if they have DC power inverters won’t actually power up and produce power until there is a stable AC connection. So if you turn on DC first then inverters will just sit idle until they see the AC connection and verify that it is stable for 5 minutes.

most inverters shut down every night anyway, so every morning the order is utility AC (which is already live) and then inverter DC as the sun comes up, followed by inverter AC as it is finally making enough power to sync up to the grid.

I have a new Gateway 2. There is no switch labeled “service disconnect“. There are 2 breakers labeled PV by the installers and six breakers for the three PWs. There is a recessed reset button. There is also a small door that says do not open unless directed to do so by Tesla. Inside is a very small black switch.
The new model Solar Edge inverter does not have a power switch. It has the knob that is either on or off. The diagram on the Tesla website Page titled Inverter Startup that shows three inverter brands says the knob is the DC Disconnect Dial. There is no power switch.
To run off grid since there is no service disconnect switch in the gateway 2, is simply using the inverter DC disconnect dial adequate? Or should we turn off the PV circuit breakers in the gateway? Or what?
@wjgjr @BrettS

I believe that you need to have a service disconnect somewhere, but it may not be in the gateway. In my case it’s in my old main panel. If you send some pictures of your panels (with the doors open so we can see the breakers) we should be able to help you find it.

The new solar edge inverters do have a power switch, but it’s tiny and hidden. It’s a little red toggle switch kind of in the middle of the inverter on the left side, to the left of the little lights.

However, turning off the DC disconnect is a perfectly fine way of stoping the inverter from producing power. That’s typically what I did when I wanted to stop my inverters.

• Informative
Reactions: LadyLion
The outdoor former main panel has a switch at bottom labeled service disconnect. The new main panel in garage right behind the old box has a switch at top labeled 200 , hard to see in photo.
(There is also a sub panel in the laundry room (no photo)that has most of the house breakers except the oven, A/C and a garage breaker for half of the garage, curious split which are in the former box)
Maybe one of those above?
There is also a new small Eaton box with a lever on right marked on and off.
No one explained any of this to us.
TIA @BrettS

Attachments

• IMG_20200922_183239348.jpg
    IMG_20200922_183239348.jpg
    411.6 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_20200922_183312573.jpg
    IMG_20200922_183312573.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20200922_183333839.jpg
    IMG_20200922_183333839.jpg
    391.3 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20200922_183427054.jpg
    IMG_20200922_183427054.jpg
    508.5 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: BrettS
Yeah, that one labeled service disconnect should do it. The big lever may also be a service disconnect or it might just be a disconnect for your solar system. A lot of jurisdictions require solar disconnects to be accessible outside.

But I’d go with the one labeled service disconnect.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: LadyLion
There is also a new small Eaton box with a lever on right marked on and off.
No one explained any of this to us.

My guess is this is a generation shutoff to let the fire dept easily kill power from solar and batteries.

I am guessing you do not have final inspection yet. Is that correct? As part of the prep for our final inspection a guy from Tesla came about and put a ton of red labels on boxes designating what they did. They also installed a plaque with a diagram of the house with arrows and labels for all of the boxes the fire department should know about.