Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordered and Registered in Oregon, Pickup Possible in California?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,

I'm currently residing in Oregon and have family down in California. Would it be possible to take delivery in California (and avoid paying any taxes, fees, etc other than what is necessary i.e. delivery, registration in OR, etc)? My intention is to drive my current car down to California to return it to my parents and then pick up the new Tesla and drive it back up. I am planning to register the car in Oregon, and have changed to an OR drivers license and insurance.

Thanks!

I am no expert in this, but CA really likes its money. If I were an Oregon resident, there is no chance I would be trying to take delivery here in CA and drive back to Oregon. You will want to check that very very (very closely). I doubt its worth the hassle in trying to do that and not pay CA tax.

Did you ever get this figured out? I'm in a similar situation. Picking up in CA but registration in a different State. SA is stating its complicated but I'll be paying CA taxes no matter what....
Hi everyone,

I'm currently residing in Oregon and have family down in California. Would it be possible to take delivery in California (and avoid paying any taxes, fees, etc other than what is necessary i.e. delivery, registration in OR, etc)? My intention is to drive my current car down to California to return it to my parents and then pick up the new Tesla and drive it back up. I am planning to register the car in Oregon, and have changed to an OR drivers license and insurance.

Thanks!

Just a follow up since sale just concluded. Doesn't matter what state you are registering the car in, Tesla will collect 7.25 if being picked up in CA.
Thanks for the update. I'm in San Diego right now and the car was on the Portland lot the day I landed...just my luck. I had to release the VIN and went back into queue so I'm going to be picking up from my home state now. Glad i won't have to deal with the 7.25 though !

Reactions: C4sxm5
When you register in your state what happens with the new taxes that are due in your state since you didn’t register it in California?
I think you should do all the paper work in Oregon with the DMV then your good to go.
In NJ no sales tax on ev’s
I thought no tax on EV’s all states?

Last edited: