Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordered MY LR but wanting MYP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just ordered an MY LR but I am liking the MYP but for different reasons than most here. As opposed to just being faster I actually prefer the feel of the MYP's suspension. I don't mind the tires much and I like the lower, firmer suspension. I felt that the ride of the LR was slightly soft and a little too much roll at least for the speed on tap. My main reason for not automatically choosing the MYP is that I really don't drive enough to justify the extra cost.

I guess I just wanted to know if there where others here that actually prefer the firmer handling of the MYP over that of the MY LR in addition to the speed?

If you were ever on the fence, just go with the MYP. I went with the MY LR and have been second guessing myself ever since. But on the flipside, if it's just handling and suspension, I mean, you can solve that fairly inexpensively on the aftermarket.

my understanding is MYP has 21" wheels with summer tires. there are limited choices in 21" tires, and i believe you will need a winter set. the handling is quite good, but it is a very firm ride with no adjustment.

If you were ever on the fence, just go with the MYP. I went with the MY LR and have been second guessing myself ever since. But on the flipside, if it's just handling and suspension, I mean, you can solve that fairly inexpensively on the aftermarket.
This is my fear too, that I would be second guessing not getting the MYP. Prefer not to go the expensive coilover route since I am leasing this and I believe at this time there are no springs available for the Y.
my understanding is MYP has 21" wheels with summer tires. there are limited choices in 21" tires, and i believe you will need a winter set. the handling is quite good, but it is a very firm ride with no adjustment.
I have factored in a set of all seasons for the 21”s if I go that route. Also from a sports car perspective, I don’t see the ride on the MYP as being that firm at all. I test drove it over some rough streets in Trenton and it was not that bad.

I was worried about firmness before I took delivery of my MYP, but it’s totally fine. If you’re accustomed to even remotely sporty suspensions, it’ll feel normal. That said, I wouldn’t dream of running these 21s (as good as they look) in an area with bad roads.

I was worried about firmness before I took delivery of my MYP, but it’s totally fine. If you’re accustomed to even remotely sporty suspensions, it’ll feel normal. That said, I wouldn’t dream of running these 21s (as good as they look) in an area with bad roads.
I agree have been in and owned some old school sporty cars the MYP suspension feel is just fine. On my MYP drive I deliberately drove over the roughest of roads and potholes, not the best, but not the worst either. With the 21s as with the 20’s you just have to be careful over potholes, less so with the 18s and 19s.

When I test drove the MY, all they had were MYPs. I found the tires / suspension too harsh for a daily driver. I ordered the MYLR mainly for the softer ride, but I was anxious about performance aka quickness and handling. Turns out my fear was unfounded: the MYLR is plenty quick to blow the doors off anybody, particularly the ahola who doesn't want you to merge on the highway - just hit it, and he's in your dust. I was thinking I would spend the extra $2K on the 0.5 second acceleration boost, but now I'm thinking it's probably not necessary. This car is like a go cart on steroids (and a go cart on meth when using autosteer.)

When I test drove the MY, all they had were MYPs. I found the tires / suspension too harsh for a daily driver. I ordered the MYLR mainly for the softer ride, but I was anxious about performance aka quickness and handling. Turns out my fear was unfounded: the MYLR is plenty quick to blow the doors off anybody, particularly the ahola who doesn't want you to merge on the highway - just hit it, and he's in your dust. I was thinking I would spend the extra $2K on the 0.5 second acceleration boost, but now I'm thinking it's probably not necessary. This car is like a go cart on steroids (and a go cart on meth when using autosteer.)
That’s the thing, if I buy the LR, I doubt I would ever buy the AB. My thought is if I am going to spend the $2K I will just put it toward getting the MYP and just make that a lower payment.

Got my MYP VIN yesterday. For me, suspension was definitely a selling point. Not only is is stiffer, it is also lower. So it both handles better (.93 skid pad!!!) and looks better. Also, the speed increase is not minor...

I was considering whether I should go back to LR and last night I looked at the numbers. If you add the $2K boost and the $2K Induction wheels (both of which would be important to me) the difference between the two cars is $5K. No brainer...

Though, I may have to get some 19's, not sure I will be able to deal with the 21's...

Got my MYP VIN yesterday. For me, suspension was definitely a selling point. Not only is is stiffer, it is also lower. So it both handles better (.93 skid pad!!!) and looks better. Also, the speed increase is not minor...

I was considering whether I should go back to LR and last night I looked at the numbers. If you add the $2K boost and the $2K Induction wheels (both of which would be important to me) the difference between the two cars is $5K. No brainer...

Though, I may have to get some 19's, not sure I will be able to deal with the 21's...
Congrats on the VIN. For me I do think the MYP is worth it’s cost considering the fact that it is an SUV and it’s perfomance. I am just accessing whether I will drive it enough to make it worth it. Still totally working from home.

While I would prefer the 20” inductions than the 21s not sure if I would to the tune of $3-4K including new wheels and tires, although all seasons for the 21’s will be a must here in NJ.

I just ordered an MY LR but I am liking the MYP but for different reasons than most here. As opposed to just being faster I actually prefer the feel of the MYP's suspension. I don't mind the tires much and I like the lower, firmer suspension. I felt that the ride of the LR was slightly soft and a little too much roll at least for the speed on tap. My main reason for not automatically choosing the MYP is that I really don't drive enough to justify the extra cost.

I guess I just wanted to know if there where others here that actually prefer the firmer handling of the MYP over that of the MY LR in addition to the speed?
Sounds like you really want the MYP and all its features, so why did you order the MYLR at all?

Congrats on the VIN. For me I do think the MYP is worth it’s cost considering the fact that it is an SUV and it’s perfomance. I am just accessing whether I will drive it enough to make it worth it. Still totally working from home.

While I would prefer the 20” inductions than the 21s not sure if I would to the tune of $3-4K including new wheels and tires, although all seasons for the 21’s will be a must here in NJ.
If I do buy wheels I'll look at is as renting them. When I upgrade (if) to Cybertruck I'm sure I'll be able to sell them easily. They are pumping out a whole lot of MYs...

Sounds like you really want the MYP and all its features, so why did you order the MYLR at all?
I mentioned why in the above post.......because I do not drive a whole lot now. I want a MY but I don’t need the performance if I am mostly using it to only run errands.
If I do buy wheels I'll look at is as renting them. When I upgrade (if) to Cybertruck I'm sure I'll be able to sell them easily. They are pumping out a whole lot of MYs...
Yes you will be able to sell those wheels easily.

Gotta do what's right for you. I had the MYP on order and went with the MY LR and waiting for it now. I thought the 21" Ubers were ugly and sinfully heavy for a "performance" vehicle.

I have equivocated a bit on this decision and when I saw a MYP in stock not too far from me, I almost pulled the trigger on it. In the end I went back to my rationale for choosing the MY LR over the MYP.

AB gets it almost as quick, and from a roll they are pretty much dead even from what I've seen
Suspension on both could be better so I'd be investing in coilovers either way +$3k
Aforementioned 21" Ubers are terrible, so I'd be tossing them too +$4k min for wheels/tires/TPMS
Range is significantly less in the real world for the MYP

So I'd drop at least another $7k on the MYP over the upcharge of about 9k over the MY LR.
For the MY LR, I'd drop maybe $8k in coilovers and wheels/tires and AB. Or maybe just roll with the AB and coilovers.

I can't see investing about $70k in the MYP to get it to where I'd want it to be. For about $60k, I can have a better riding and handling car and acceleration this close >< to the MYP for less money. I'll take that and put it toward my MS on order.

Everyone has a different buying calculus. If the MYP actually had better wheels (lightweight for less unsprung weight) and truly better suspension, as well as the track mode from the M3P, I'd go for it in a heartbeat. I feel they could have done more than they did with it. It seems like the sort of phoned it in. Why didn't they port over the track mode for example?

Gotta do what's right for you. I had the MYP on order and went with the MY LR and waiting for it now. I thought the 21" Ubers were ugly and sinfully heavy for a "performance" vehicle.

I have equivocated a bit on this decision and when I saw a MYP in stock not too far from me, I almost pulled the trigger on it. In the end I went back to my rationale for choosing the MY LR over the MYP.

AB gets it almost as quick, and from a roll they are pretty much dead even from what I've seen
Suspension on both could be better so I'd be investing in coilovers either way +$3k
Aforementioned 21" Ubers are terrible, so I'd be tossing them too +$4k min for wheels/tires/TPMS
Range is significantly less in the real world for the MYP

So I'd drop at least another $7k on the MYP over the upcharge of about 9k over the MY LR.
For the MY LR, I'd drop maybe $8k in coilovers and wheels/tires and AB. Or maybe just roll with the AB and coilovers.

I can't see investing about $70k in the MYP to get it to where I'd want it to be. For about $60k, I can have a better riding and handling car and acceleration this close >< to the MYP for less money. I'll take that and put it toward my MS on order.

Everyone has a different buying calculus. If the MYP actually had better wheels (lightweight for less unsprung weight) and truly better suspension, as well as the track mode from the M3P, I'd go for it in a heartbeat. I feel they could have done more than they did with it. It seems like the sort of phoned it in. Why didn't they port over the track mode for example?
I do wish the Y had an adjustable suspension and had an option for the 20" indictions. This I think would please more people as far as tuning the right ride feel that they are after on the MYP or LR.

Myself, while I prefer the inductions, I don't mind the Uber's that much. I would just throw some all seasons on them. My thought is if you are going to do a lot of mods just get the LR with AB. That saves a lot of money and gets you most of the way to the MYP.

I am faced with this dilemma at the moment. I reached out to an SA I met on a trip to let me know if any inventory popped up that might work for me. As luck would have it, an MY LR and MYP both showed up today. So I am really working through this to make a decision by tomorrow.

I still am inclined to just go with the MY LR. If the MYP wheels with tires didn't weigh almost 68 pounds per corner, I'd be more onboard. Not to mention the staggered config means I can't easily rotate the tires. Not to mention, the overall diameter is different between front and rear wheels.

These massive wheels weigh really hurt the performance. Going to a lighter set of wheels can knock several tenths off the 0-60 time. Same would apply to the MY LR. If you take the MY LR and AB you likely about 4.2 seconds 0-60 (no rollout). A lighter set of wheels/tires could likely knock off .2 - .3 seconds. So could be looking at 3.9 or so 0-60 with no rollout for the MY LR This is versus about 3.75-3.8 for the MYP with no rollout.

I don't care about the pedals, lowering, or the trunk lip spoiler. I figure with AB and wheels/tires I'll have about under 5k invested. So the delta is only about 3k to go to the performance. For me, that isn't worth the .1-2 second improvement. If I was really worried about it, I would go with the M3P, which is quicker/faster and costs less than the MYP.

I can live with the suspension on the LR for my roads. Down the road replacement tires are much cheaper for 18's or 19's and if I ever have to deal with snow, I'll have a lot more choices in those sizes or I end up buying another set of wheels for the MYP which drives the price up more. I think while the retained value of the MYP might be a bit better, there might be fewer people in the market for one than the normal MY.

I don't mind spending the money but it is clearly diminishing value. That is my logic for where I am at now but maybe tomorrow I'll think differently when I go to write the check. At the same time, I have an MS on order so the absolute performance of the MY is less important to me. I drove the MY LR and MYP enough over the last few weeks to know that in acceleration in normal driving, I didn't notice that much difference. Not saying there isn't but again my impressions, and testing showed, most of the advantage of the MYPs acceleration immediately off the line.

For me, it would much easier to choose the MYP if:
  • Wheels and tires weren't so heavy, no real benefit for 21's
  • Lack of track mode
  • More real differentiators for a performance model (unique trim, interior, well-sorted suspension, (crappy pedals, trunk lip spoiler, 1/2" drop don't count)
  • Bring back the stealth model
  • Should be closer in performance to the M3P especially with the Mach-E GT available soon.

A wild card here will also be the introduction of the Mach-E GT Performance model. I would hate to buy the MYP and have my clocked cleaned by the MME GT Performance model. Ford got a lot of things right with it and I am sure the suspension will be far better than what Tesla put on the MY3 or MYP. I would wage a large stack of $1,000 bills that the Ford is going to make their 3.5 seconds 0-60 time and do it without rollout. This likely will mean the base MME GT will run heads up with the MYP with a claimed 3.8 second 0-60 likely w/out rollout. The MME GT Performance is the one that should run 3.5 seconds 0-60. I drove the normal MME today and they got a lot of things right with it.

At the end of the day, they are both very good cars and hard to go wrong with either one. At first I wasn't at all interested in the MY LR and only would consider the MYP. As I did more research the LR looked a lot more attractive.

Here is a good reference link about the impact the boat anchor wheels of the MYP have on acceleration. All this unsprung mass doesn't help acceleration or handling.

I am faced with this dilemma at the moment. I reached out to an SA I met on a trip to let me know if any inventory popped up that might work for me. As luck would have it, an MY LR and MYP both showed up today. So I am really working through this to make a decision by tomorrow.

I still am inclined to just go with the MY LR. If the MYP wheels with tires didn't weigh almost 68 pounds per corner, I'd be more onboard. Not to mention the staggered config means I can't easily rotate the tires. Not to mention, the overall diameter is different between front and rear wheels.

These massive wheels weigh really hurt the performance. Going to a lighter set of wheels can knock several tenths off the 0-60 time. Same would apply to the MY LR. If you take the MY LR and AB you likely about 4.2 seconds 0-60 (no rollout). A lighter set of wheels/tires could likely knock off .2 - .3 seconds. So could be looking at 3.9 or so 0-60 with no rollout for the MY LR This is versus about 3.75-3.8 for the MYP with no rollout.

I don't care about the pedals, lowering, or the trunk lip spoiler. I figure with AB and wheels/tires I'll have about under 5k invested. So the delta is only about 3k to go to the performance. For me, that isn't worth the .1-2 second improvement. If I was really worried about it, I would go with the M3P, which is quicker/faster and costs less than the MYP.

I can live with the suspension on the LR for my roads. Down the road replacement tires are much cheaper for 18's or 19's and if I ever have to deal with snow, I'll have a lot more choices in those sizes or I end up buying another set of wheels for the MYP which drives the price up more. I think while the retained value of the MYP might be a bit better, there might be fewer people in the market for one than the normal MY.

I don't mind spending the money but it is clearly diminishing value. That is my logic for where I am at now but maybe tomorrow I'll think differently when I go to write the check. At the same time, I have an MS on order so the absolute performance of the MY is less important to me. I drove the MY LR and MYP enough over the last few weeks to know that in acceleration in normal driving, I didn't notice that much difference. Not saying there isn't but again my impressions, and testing showed, most of the advantage of the MYPs acceleration immediately off the line.

For me, it would much easier to choose the MYP if:
  • Wheels and tires weren't so heavy, no real benefit for 21's
  • Lack of track mode
  • More real differentiators for a performance model (unique trim, interior, well-sorted suspension, (crappy pedals, trunk lip spoiler, 1/2" drop don't count)
  • Bring back the stealth model
  • Should be closer in performance to the M3P especially with the Mach-E GT available soon.

A wild card here will also be the introduction of the Mach-E GT Performance model. I would hate to buy the MYP and have my clocked cleaned by the MME GT Performance model. Ford got a lot of things right with it and I am sure the suspension will be far better than what Tesla put on the MY3 or MYP. I would wage a large stack of $1,000 bills that the Ford is going to make their 3.5 seconds 0-60 time and do it without rollout. This likely will mean the base MME GT will run heads up with the MYP with a claimed 3.8 second 0-60 likely w/out rollout. The MME GT Performance is the one that should run 3.5 seconds 0-60. I drove the normal MME today and they got a lot of things right with it.

At the end of the day, they are both very good cars and hard to go wrong with either one. At first I wasn't at all interested in the MY LR and only would consider the MYP. As I did more research the LR looked a lot more attractive.

Here is a good reference link about the impact the boat anchor wheels of the MYP have on acceleration. All this unsprung mass doesn't help acceleration or handling.
If you’re going to play the game of getting lighter wheels to get faster you could always do the same with a Performance. LR owners just need to face the fact it is not going to be as fast as a performance model. Stock for stock you guys get a more comfortable ride and longer range but less performance.