Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordering a Tesla: my first in 2009 vs. my fifth in 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla #6 (#1, 2, 3 and 5 have been sold; my wife still has #4)
20181107_143655_HDR.jpg
:

Yeah, when I placed the order (Oct 31) they said 4-8 weeks for delivery. I was worried it might not arrive by the end of the year. They drove it out to my house today (and showed up at the appointed 2pm on the dot), and other than a grease smudge on the rear seat, it looked perfect and only had 24 miles on it. No badging, but I didn't want that anyway. No spoiler or fobs, but I don't know if anybody is getting those with the car yet.

So it just took 7 days to get it. Build date was in October. Hmm, maybe an AWD would have arrived in time, and I didn't have to get the P3D. Oh well, too bad, now I have to suffer through life driving a P3D...

By the way, I ended up selling my Model 3 LR AWD privately. I didn't get much more than I would have gotten trading it in, but I did get a nice couple in to an EV, and (including the federal tax credit) I did get back every penny that I paid Tesla for the car AND the state for taxes, registration, etc. So financially, it's almost like my first Model 3 never happened. Well, I did lose the money on tint and PPF, but that's fair rent for having a Tesla for 6 months...

I took the new P3D out for a drive. Not too long, because it's got summer tires and the sun was going down and temperature dropping. But...I'm not sure mind you, but maybe...it's possible that this car will make me no longer miss the Roadster.

Last edited:
The new Roadster has nothing I need, but everything I want.

I've had some sort of weak excuse for the other Teslas I have purchased, but I don't think there is any way I can justify the new Roadster. And...I really think my new P3D will keep me happy. I hope so. As much as I enjoy these cars, I am getting a little tired of spending money on them. (Well, I guess the last one didn't work out so bad...)

Update, just over a year later:

My 2010 Roadster was fantastic. I still miss the sleek lines, the vibrant yellow color, and feeling like I was part of the car from the low seat as I'd accelerate quickly with top off. It grabbed my heart the day I got it.

But, yeah, my Performance 3 is a better car by at least a dozen metrics - and in most of them, it's a FAR better car. If I had extra garage space and somebody gave me a Roadster, I would gladly take it, and I would definitely drive it sometimes...but, really, probably not that often. All cars have a long list of compromises, and while the Roadster has some advantages, the 3 just has so many that it really worms itself in to your heart over time. Even if some are so pedestrian as the ability to blend in...I was never completely comfortable with the attention that the Roadster got.

If somebody asks me if I miss my Roadster, I still say "yes" because there are a few things I miss. But I think the telling thing is that I really just don't think of it much anymore. I will of course keep an eye on the Gen-2 Roadster as it becomes available, but the chances of me actually buying one seem awfully remote. I'm pretty pleased with what I have.

(Chad nervously checks the date on his post, wondering when he will write the "I just ordered another one" entry...)

Last edited:
Ahem.

I definitely am not ready to part with my Model 3 (although there is a chance I could get a Y or a Mach-E GT some day, as I do love hatchbacks. One of those is a lot more likely than a Gen2 Roadster). But my wife saw the Cybertruck, and fell in love with it. (I was going to question her taste, but then I guess she fell in love with me, so maybe I should just quietly accept it). FWIW, my son and his wife say that neither of them have ever had any interest in a truck, but if they don't get a Cybertruck they might die.

The only gas car my wife misses was our old camper van, and Elon tweeted that the camping accessory would be made available. So, yeah, we put down a reservation - we might end up replacing her X with a Cybertruck. I guess we have a couple of years to decide...

Attachments

• camper.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 41
Last edited:
It looks like we will have MORE than a couple of years to decide on the Cybertruck. We have since purchased a travel trailer; we'll tow it with our X, but would like a more suitable towing vehicle. So we also have reservations for the Ford Lightning, Rivian, and Silverado EV. We'll see what's available when.

In the meantime, Tesla #7 has finally happened. I have enough experience with EV legislation that I didn't figure the 2022 EV tax credit plan was very likely to pass, but if it did it would vastly increase Tesla's demand and likely raise prices, so just in case I put in a Model Y order last October. I figured I'd just cancel the order if the tax credit didn't pass, because I really loved driving the Model 3 and knew the Y would be...less dynamic, shall we say.

But in the meantime, Y Performance prices went up $6k, and Putin started an oil war. EV demand is exceeding supply, and parts and materials are hard to get, so it just seemed like a good time to add another EV to the family stable. So I went ahead and accepted the Y, passed the M3P to my father, and he passed his 3 LR RWD to my son.

So please welcome Tesla #7 to the family. I really love the red color; that and the slightly bulbous shape made me name her "Hellamato" - she's a LOT of tomato.

PXL_20220317_201700057.jpg

I might change the "DUAL MOTOR" badge to say "MATO". Nah, I'll probably just debadge it.

Parting thoughts on Merlin, my 2018 M3P that now belongs to my father: it took a lot longer to grab my heart than the Roadster, but it really was great at everything I needed and wanted. If a genie was to appear and say "what car from your past do you want me to apparate for you", I'd pick the M3P. So much fun, AND super easy to live with. Sigh.

The MYP has a lot more body roll when you throw it in to a corner. The fun factor is definitely diminished. But maybe that's just as well - maybe I shouldn't be throwing my car that hard in to corners on public streets anyway. The MYP certainly has a lot of nice little touches that make it more practical, and I am positive I will enjoy it. I will still miss the M3P at times - just as I sometimes miss the Roadster on a sunny day - but I think it will be an easy transition nonetheless.

Last edited:
Reactions: KJD and Jeeps17
When my daughter was small, she said "mato" instead of "tomato", and the name has sort of stuck for our family.

Hmm. This is not really the vibe I was hoping for.

Loud Mato.jpg

That's closer. I may have to change the name of the car.

Lord Mato.jpg

Earlier posts in this thread covered our first 7 Teslas. For a while I figured if we got an 8th Tesla, it would likely be a Cybertruck for towing. However, the Cybertruck didn't exactly come out on time, and we ended up getting a Rivian instead. We are pretty happy with that.

But an 8th Tesla still happened recently. My wife loved her X (our 4th Tesla), and for a long time didn't want to consider replacing it with anything else. Not even a new X. I'd occasionally mention new features, but she showed no interest. Dramatically lower prices, and even qualification for the federal tax credit didn't matter either. She did briefly get excited after seeing an Ultra Red X, but still didn't want to get a new one. The straw that finally moved her was the offer to move her Free Unlimited Supercharging to a new Tesla.

The problem was that she'd only consider an X. (The X is my least favorite Tesla, and even she prefers an S for herself - we only got an X to help drive her elderly father around, and he recently passed. But we now have grandchildren, and she finds it much easier to get them in their carseats in the back of the X, so an X it is). But new orders for an X were already out to 2024 - where the Free Supercharging offer no longer applied, AND it was uncertain whether or not the federal tax credit would apply.

So I checked the inventory list every evening just in case something came up. Of course it would have to be Ultra Red, and it would have to be a 5-seater with no options to qualify for the federal tax credit - and we would have to be able to take delivery this year. But almost everything in inventory was a demo car, and they tend to ship those out with a lot of options. I wasn't seeing anything remotely close. Until Thanksgiving - I checked that evening after our guests left, and there was an Ultra Red X with no options.

Hooray, but...it was 6 hours away. And we had some pretty full calendars in December. But we were free the Monday after Thanksgiving. There were a couple of hitches trying to finalize all the details over a holiday weekend before we got up at 5am on Monday to go pick up the car, but it all worked out.

Tesla #4 (silver) and #8 (ultra red):

DosEquis.jpg

A few days later we sold the 2017 X to some friends that had a Model 3, but wanted something bigger for road trips with their dog.

Reactions: henderrj