Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

original black trim above rear door scratched slightly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all !

please look at the provided picture. this is from a new model 3 where the trim is all black. There's a slight scratch and I was wondering if you can polish this with let's say commandant nr 5 (since it's not glossy but looks more satin or something). It's a light scratch, but you do feel it very lightly with your nail.

what do you think ?

Attachments

• 20210311_152828.jpg
    20210311_152828.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 768
  • 20210311_173953.jpg
    20210311_173953.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 476
I had several scratches in the black trim around the windows on my 2021 Model 3. I didn't notice them until a month or more after delivery and could not prove they were there at delivery so didn't bother contacting Tesla.

I was able to fix them completely with this product: https://www.amazon.com/Birchwood-15121-Casey-Aluminum-Touch-Up/dp/B072LT4HCZ

I cleaned the scratched areas with soap and water, then wiped them down with isopropyl alcohol, then wiped again with plain water. I then wiped them dry. I used the Aluminum Black pen to touch-up the scratches, waited a minute or two, then wiped the chemical off with a wet rag, and then buffed the areas with a dry part of the same rag. Most of the scratches disappeared completely; a few required a second round of treatment. All are now gone/invisible.

I did not think to take before and after photos, but if you have these scratches, spend $5 on this Aluminum Black pen and give it a try.

Good to know there's a touch-up option in case the tint shop won't pay for the replacement ($185 plus labor).

Every tint shop does this.

Dumbasses roll the window all the way up to get the tint on and then slam the door because it's the first f'n car they've ever tinted and they don't know jack about cars or tint.