Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OTA Software Updates - Competitor Developments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Spidy

Feb 7, 2015
EU
This seems to be a big factor for many people when buying a Tesla so I thought it would be interesting to keep track of the competition.

Just found a interview with a Mercedes developer...

Alle drei Monate stellen wir neue Software bereit. Theoretisch wäre es noch schneller möglich. Aber wir glauben, dass der Kunde nicht ständig Nachrichten über Updates in seinem Auto haben möchte. Wir verbreiten keine Hektik, sondern ausgereifte Produkte. Der Komfort im Auto wird sich dadurch stufenweise erhöhen.

Digital native.

So it seem like Mercedes plans to offer a update for the E-Class around every 3 months.

I have the impression that OTA updates is not really a difficult thing to do technically. It is just hard "politically" with existing automakers to chance it. They would prefer to have techs do it on site so if something goes wrong they can reboot that extra time to make sure its working. Tesla takes a big chance downloading new firmware and having the car reflash itself and reboot at 2am. I think other auto companies just veto this sort of thing.

Isn't there a financial issue? Money "earned" by the dealerships for doing this "work"? I've heard that it costs $500 for a firmware update for a Mercedes owner.
In Germany we don't really have this dealership system and manufacturers just have their owns stores like Tesla so I doubt that. Will be interesting to see how Mercedes does that in the US.