Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Other stocks with >50% exposure to EVs/Clean Energy/Sustainability

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ReflexFunds

Dec 7, 2018
-
It's surprisingly hard to find a list of stocks with true focus on Clean Energy/CO2 reduction.
For many of the big names such as Panasonic or LG Chem, EV batteries is still just a minor division.
When trying to screen stocks I find often what's left is small or micro cap early stage companies.

I think Clean Energy investments and fossil fuel divestments will become an increasingly strong investment theme over the next few years, particularly with Blackrock's comments this year, and personally I'd like to support any company trying to help with the transition so long as valuation is reasonable and management seem competent and honest.

These are some of the companies I've found so far:

upload_2020-2-22_10-33-32.png

This is no way an endorsement of an investment in any of these companies by the way, I barely know what some of them do and know even less whether they are undervalued.
But if anyone has any thoughts on any of the above, or if there are other public companies they have come across, I'd be interested to hear.

The above list excludes Lithium companies and Nickel juniors (which are both primarily EV plays) and Solar & Wind stocks. I'll add these in a later post.

NIU is another one to add to the list that I own a few shares of - they manufacture electric motorscooters (think electric equivalents to 50-150 cc ICE scooters, not electric kickscooters). I don't expect them to go big, but I figured a few shares wouldn't hurt... and they could become a big player in displacing similar ICE scooters in dense urban areas especially in Asia and parts of Europe.

They do have competition, though - in my eyes, their biggest threats are Gogoro (although they seem to be focusing more on their domestic Taiwanese market, and their business model is to sell battery subscriptions for subsidized scooters) and Segway-Ninebot (although the electric motorscooters seem to be more of a side project and their focus being on micromobility including electric kickscooters).

(As far as the ICE competition... Yamaha is rebadging Gogoros for the Taiwanese market, Honda has a toe dipped in with a conversion of one of their 125/150 cc ICE scooters (the PCX) to a 50 cc-equivalent battery swappable electric, Kymco has announced an attempt to directly compete with Gogoro's 125 cc-equivalent scooters, and Piaggio has a conversion of the smaller-frame Vespas to a 50 cc-equivalent electric that is hideously overpriced and the batteries aren't swappable.)

Also may be worth considering SMNNY, which I also own a few shares of - Shimano forecasts 79.7% of their sales for FY20 to be bicycle components, and they're one of the higher-tier e-bike component vendors. (However... I own an e-bike with a Shimano internally geared hub, but the electric system is from Bosch because I liked the Bosch system better than the Shimano system I rode. So that's a thing.) Not sure how much of their revenue is transportational gear like urban groupsets, internally geared hubs, and e-bike systems, though, versus sporting gear.

Last edited:
Reactions: ReflexFunds