Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Over 20K worth of front end damages, not including paint or other parts the body shop might find.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone, After owning my Model 3 SR+ for only 12 days, I rear-ended a large pickup truck at a stoplight. The light turned green, he began driving and stopped. The body shop estimator said yesterday the damages are over $20K, not including paint or other incidental parts. He said, "Don't worry we won't total your car." The Tesla insurance agent said my car has a long way to go before it's totaled. She said you're driving a $50,000 car. I said I purchased my car for $39,900. The body shop estimator said if there is any damage to the frame they can repair it. They also said it would be done in 30 days. I don't trust them. What can I do? How do they decide if your car is totaled? I appreciate any input you can give. I'm really down. Many thanks....Gage

Hi everyone, After owning my Model 3 SR+ for only 12 days, I rear-ended a large pickup truck at a stoplight. The light turned green, he began driving and stopped. The body shop estimator said yesterday the damages are over $20K, not including paint or other incidental parts. He said, "Don't worry we won't total your car." The Tesla insurance agent said my car has a long way to go before it's totaled. She said you're driving a $50,000 car. I said I purchased my car for $39,900. The body shop estimator said if there is any damage to the frame they can repair it. They also said it would be done in 30 days. I don't trust them. What can I do? How do they decide if your car is totaled? I appreciate any input you can give. I'm really down. Many thanks....Gage
They total your car is the value of the car is less than it costs to repair. Given your car is essentially brand new, that is unlikely if the repairs are around $20k.

A $20,000 initial estimate can easily turn into double that amount. Wait until the insurance appraiser assesses the damage after which you'll have a better idea. You will be better off with a total loss because after having a repair history, the car is going to be worth half of its pre-accident FMV because of the structural damage. As the crash was your fault, you can't go after diminished value in California. And, keep in mind that, after repairs, if someone should cause a significant amount of damage, collecting for diminished value on a car that was previously repaired is notoriously difficult.