Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P zero to Pilot 4S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

LO55ZZZ

May 21, 2023
Kent
the rear tyres on my M3P need replacing. I have P Zeros on there now and want to move to Michelin Pilot Sport 4s. The front will need changing in a few months. Will it caused problems running different tyres on the rear for a few thousand miles??

the rear tyres on my M3P need replacing. I have P Zeros on there now and want to move to Michelin Pilot Sport 4s. The front will need changing in a few months. Will it caused problems running different tyres on the rear for a few thousand miles??
While not ideal, this can be managed. Just don't push the car too hard, as the two tires will have different handling characteristics at the limits of adhesion.
You want to put new tires upfront, to both maximize rain clearing capacity on the leading tires (to pump our the water for the trailing rears), and to expedite wear on the used rears (rear tires wear out faster on our cars).

This is why, usually, you want to rotate the tires between axels to achieve even wear and simultaneously replace all four in the future.

HTH,
a

There's no problem having different tires on different axles, as long as the rear tires don't have significantly less traction than the fronts.
Michelin vs Pirelli is not "significant" but in water there is a significant difference between worn/new tires, so even if your old tires are still good in the water, it can be unsafe to have much better tires in the front. But if the better tires are in the rear, it'll just be a little safer than what you have now.

I think this is basically what @afadeev was trying to say, but mistakenly confused front/rear.

in water there is a significant difference between worn/new tires, so even if your old tires are still good in the water, it can be unsafe to have much better tires in the front. But if the better tires are in the rear, it'll just be a little safer than what you have now.

I think this is basically what @afadeev was trying to say, but mistakenly confused front/rear.

Nope, meant exactly as I had stated above.

It may be a bit counter-intuitive at first, but full-treaded tires are highly efficient water pumps, removing between 4-15 Gallons of water per SECOND from the road. When going in a straight line, the front tires pump the water out of the way, and the rears ride in the tracks cleared by the front wheels.
Thus, you want to most efficient water removing tires up front!

Another way to look at this is if your front tires ride up on a cushion of water over the road and start hydroplaning, you will completely loose directional control of the car. With very limited ability to regain traction, unless you slow way down, or water depth decreases naturally. No amount of traction in the back will save you from having a very sideways ride, that may, or may not, stay on the paved surface. Which may, or may not, allow you to keep the shiny part of the car pointing up.