Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D crowd: Competing vs. high-performance ICE from a roll?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The fenders make all of the difference . Its obvious tesla is just trying to stream line the manufacturing process and im sure when they get it all down to a science they will start making big changes like other automakers do. I leased so when the next best thing comes out its all mine ;)

Reactions: raptor5244
Loved the m sport package on our 335i cause the normal 3 looked meh. And the m3 back in 2013 was the previous body style with horrible cup holders. (Yes that was my justification for the 335 m sport)

it was the wife’s car so it didn’t have to be stupid fast. Now she doesn’t really have a car. I have three. She’s okay, nothing to see here.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: raptor5244
A good example would be the BMW 230i vs. the BMW M2. The M trim does not go overboard. They just need to chisel up the front and rear facia a bit and give it a more aggressive stance.

Maybe not the best example since the M2 has bespoke (wider, less aerodynamic) body panels...

I agree that the stance could be improved. Wheels with a more aggressive offset make a world of difference in looks/stance with less effect on the all-important aero.

I think I’m going to drive my Lotus tomorrow. Or maybe I won’t. The Tesla m3P is such a brilliant commuter. Stupid fast and unassuming.

completely agree with your requests for the model 3 performance. The now negligible acceleration boost over the non P, and the red brakes (which still need upgrading for track use) aren’t nearly enough for a performance sedan.

Seats would be a great starting point. Some aero bits would be nice, and I’d like more than 0.5 second 0-60 and definitely more than -.1 30-60 difference compared to a normal AWD.

of course this isn’t to discount how retarded quick the car is. But you’ve got to differentiate it if you want to continue to call it a “performance model”
At least for me, the biggest differentiation is still track mode, in the performance variant. It really does liven up the car, on a course.

That said, sure, I'd be fine with something to distinguish the vehicle more (though I said that even for performance variants of other brands, which I resolved in the aftermarket, anyway).

I’m somewhere in the middle on this. I’ve always preferred “sleepers”, but wouldn’t mind a little more differentiation for the P model...
This is exactly where I am. I like understated overall. But a performance model should stand out a little stronger than with things that can be removed with a hair dryer and fishing line.

I don’t care about the external looks as much as the seat bolstering. Toss this car into a corner, then toss any other proper sports sedan or sportscar. You’ll then see why some of us complain. (There are no tracks near me, so it’s less and less important...but it would be nice to know my rear end is going to stay put in the seat without my rectum biting the seat.

I am probably in the minority, but I like how understated and “normal” the M3P+ looks. The new M cars are flashier than I’d like. I’d prefer to blend in while driving.
I love that the Model 3 Performance looks like a much slower car than it is. It's a lot of fun to show up to the drag strip and / or track day and surprise everyone.

This is exactly where I am. I like understated overall. But a performance model should stand out a little stronger than with things that can be removed with a hair dryer and fishing line.

I don’t care about the external looks as much as the seat bolstering. Toss this car into a corner, then toss any other proper sports sedan or sportscar. You’ll then see why some of us complain. (There are no tracks near me, so it’s less and less important...but it would be nice to know my rear end is going to stay put in the seat without my rectum biting the seat.

Maybe it's my size but I think the seat bolstering is fine. I'm 6ft tall and 215lbs but I have no problem staying planted in the seat on the track. It's definitely better than my 2010 2SS/RS Camaro was.

I wish the brakes were better and a smaller wider wheel option was available to provide a wider selection of tires. The PS4 OEM tires grip great but don't hold up long on the track especially without being able to adjust the camber.

Reactions: Mrcarcrazy
Pick the speed/SOC and see how much HP P3D is making and go from there.
Tesla-Model-3-P3D-SOC-Dyno-Test.png

You'd still pull a bit on cars with similar HP/weight due to lack of shifts, IF they start in proper gear. If they don't, it'd take them waaaay too long to catch up.

Basically at 70-90mph roll start, you'd be on par with regular V8 Camaros/Mustangs in proper gear.

We need a new graph post speed patches ;)