Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D Limited Regen when charging to 90%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
not charging over 90%. 30 amp charge rate, 65 degrees outside. 80 degrees in the car. Any thoughts on why regen would be limited by 5-6 dots? Been happening a lot lately.

The higher SOC the more sensitive it is to temp vs regen. When SOC gets real low Regen starts to come back even when it’s very cold. Same reason SC rate gets limited as SOC goes up.

Temp in the car means nothing.
Overnight temps mean a lot.

It was in the 70’s to day but was in 40’s overnight. And I had a good 8 dots of limited regen at first. Happens all the time. My garage is pretty cool on the concrete floor even when it’s fairly warm out.

The higher SOC the more sensitive it is to temp vs regen. When SOC gets real low Regen starts to come back even when it’s very cold. Same reason SC rate gets limited as SOC goes up.

Temp in the car means nothing.
Overnight temps mean a lot.

It was in the 70’s to day but was in 40’s overnight. And I had a good 8 dots of limited regen at first. Happens all the time. My garage is pretty cool on the concrete floor even when it’s fairly warm out.

I only mentioned inside temp because about a month ago I had limited regen in the afternoon when it was 75 degrees out and the inside of the car was close to 100 (sitting in the sun). Seems like the high inside temps caused it to go into limited regen? It definitely wasn't a cold issue.

I understand a car sitting overnight will be cold and can take time for the battery pack to warm up. Our car sits and charges in an insulated garage, so that seems to help with large temp swings. To help with limited regen, I have the car start charging 1.5 hours prior to me leaving for work. I also have the HVAC turn on about 15 minutes before I take off. This is something I did with my LR RWD and we went through the coldest parts of this recent winter and hardly had any regen issues. Prior to making those changes, I experienced limited regen daily.

On the day that I posted this (Friday), I had no regen issues in the morning. SOC was 45% when I left the house. When I arrived at work, I charged to 77% and left for lunch, no regen issues. Then late in the afternoon I topped it off to 90%. An hour later I drove home and had limited regen.

Maybe the P3D just behaves differently? I'm not saying this is an issue. Sounds like others with the P3D might be experiencing the same thing. If it is different than the LR RWD, it would be nice to understand why. Maybe the regen is stronger in the P3D, so they nerf it under certain conditions?

Was going to start a thread on this as my SR+ never has full regen when between 80-90%. (That said it is still pretty cool out, 10-15C). Phone support said that’s to be expected with full regen occurring under 80%. Going to try charging just to 80% and see if it’s any different.
Yesterday I charged to 90% and the message came on about limited Regen. I swiped the message to the left and that left the exclamation mark in a circle on the screen.

Yesterday I charged to 90% and the message came on about limited Regen. I swiped the message to the left and that left the exclamation mark in a circle on the screen.

I have that every single time I get in my Model 3, unless it has been sitting outside on a day that’s 15C+ out (and even then I’ll still have some dots). I just did an hour drive this morning though dropping me to 67% and I had full regen by the time I got home. Garage is pretty cool so I’m charging to 80% to see if it’s limited at all when I got out later.

Last edited:
P3D-

I can't remember not seing a small number of dots on regen on my 12 mile commute - even with temps in the mid 60s-70s. I usually charge to around 80%

You have to look at over night temps. What the battery was exposed to in the last 12 hours. And state of charge. Takes a lot to move that mass temp. If you drive it very hard and let up very hard for high regen the dots will disappear quickly or super charging. But just a normal 12 mile drive might not be enough for full regen.

I see pretty much the same thing.

Also the ground that the car sits over has not warmed up a lot either.

Even though air temps are warming my garage floor (car sits over for 12 or more hours) is probably only 10F warmer than it was 2 months ago. That’s what is keeping the battery cool.

I only mentioned inside temp because about a month ago I had limited regen in the afternoon when it was 75 degrees out and the inside of the car was close to 100 (sitting in the sun). Seems like the high inside temps caused it to go into limited regen? It definitely wasn't a cold issue.

Cabin temps and air temps won’t move the battery temp very quickly.

What was the temp the battery sat at the night before? That will affect regen more for the morning than a few hours of warm air.

I’ve had plenty of 75F days with 8 dots of limited regen. Didn’t matter if cabin got warm because it was sunny or didn’t get warm because it was cloudy.

Your battery is near the ground in the shade. It won’t move quickly. And it’s probably over cool ground over night. Ground temps move very slowly and lag average air temps.

100F is nothing for a cabin temp all closed up in the sun. And it can rise VERY quickly.

Battery won’t feel it. Heat rises.

Last edited: