Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P3D new noise at WOT with 36.2.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That was my thinking. WOT has been used for decades in the automotive world but incorrect term with electric cars

We have the same discussion ad nauseam on the diesel forums. No throttle. So they call it the go peddle. Which sounds dumb.

"accelerator" works for all 3, but it's kind of vague, so now you have to add "peddle" and that's twice the typing of throttle.

Coming from an electrical background, I would say that usage of the term throttle (i.e., what's traditionally called the gas pedal) in a Tesla is incorrect. It's more a "potentiometer" or "rheostat", depending upon the exact nature of control over the input signals to the motor(s).

Also, almost any true gearhead knows immediately what WOT stands for when used in an automotive forum. Or maybe it's just a term for us oldsters.

It will be a potentiometer likely multiple. I haven't seen rheostats used in automotive for some time and it was for dimming dash lights.

How about AFR. ECU, closed loop vs open loop, PID, etc.

AFR is Air Fuel Ratio,
ECU is Engine Control Unit or Electronic Control Unit
PID is Proportional Integral Derivative.

I’ll be the first to actually answer you question.

I’m on 32.12. I experienced exactly what you described yesterday and the only variable that’s changed was the temperature. It was the first day my car was driving in 30 degrees and I thought why the hell is my car super high pitched now. I didn’t upgrade recently so I think it’s the cold that’s causing this change.

Anyone else notice a new pitch of the rear motor at WOT with 36.2.1? It was a bit cold this morning and I have one wheel slightly out of balance so I did not do a new draggy test, but there was definaty a pitch change at WOT that I don’t think was there before.

Probably been working around combustible engines for maybe.... 15 years? leisurely that is... Dont think I've ever heard the term 'wide open throttle' ... Guess you learn something new everyday, I just say floor it or full throttle.

Last edited:
VW killed WOT with the I.D.3.........It’s now PLAY and fully pushed its FAST FORWARD........

8983DD50-33EC-48E0-91F4-46E8EDA6691B.png

Reactions: Silicon Desert
Anyone else notice a new pitch of the rear motor at WOT with 36.2.1? It was a bit cold this morning and I have one wheel slightly out of balance so I did not do a new draggy test, but there was definaty a pitch change at WOT that I don’t think was there before.
Pretty sure you’re just rubbing in the fact that you have 36.2.1 and I don’t. That’s very insensitive.

• Funny
Reactions: 03DSG and Adam3