Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85 Loaner Cars! Sweet!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I had my car in last Friday for the back seat latch recall. Also had them check for HVAC vibration felt through the steering wheel, and hum above 65mph. I think we got 2 out 3 fixed, as I still have the hum.

Interesting thing about the P85 loaner they gave me for the day. Steering seems smoother, car feels lighter than mine (due to the P status my car does not have). Of course blindingly fast 0--40 (I want this). But VIN number 11751, only 316 ahead of my car, with 1600 or so miles on it (half mine)... and it already has a fair amount of squeaks and rattles. My car (so far) is nearly squeak and rattle free. :)

Met up with Lyon while there too.

The guys at the service center are passionate, simply great. Thanks Carl, Adam, and Ken!!!

So I had my car in last Friday for the back seat latch recall. Also had them check for HVAC vibration felt through the steering wheel, and hum above 65mph. I think we got 2 out 3 fixed, as I still have the hum.

Interesting thing about the P85 loaner they gave me for the day. Steering seems smoother, car feels lighter than mine (due to the P status my car does not have). Of course blindingly fast 0--40 (I want this). But VIN number 11751, only 316 ahead of my car, with 1600 or so miles on it (half mine)... and it already has a fair amount of squeaks and rattles. My car (so far) is nearly squeak and rattle free. :)

Met up with Lyon while there too.

The guys at the service center are passionate, simply great. Thanks Carl, Adam, and Ken!!!

Just wanted to comment on the "hum above 65" part of your post. I had the same thing, and just had it in for service, in conjunction with getting the tires rotated (i'm at around 7k miles). Turns out this was actually tire noise. When they rotated the tires and re-secured them, the noise went away. Of course, YMMV, but it sounded very familiar to me when you posted.

Tempus

Everybody knows that rental cars are the highest performing cars you can drive. Pretty sure the same thing applies to loaners.:smile::wink:

This. Though the way I heard it was, "The best off-road vehicle ever made...is a rental car."

More to the point, I had a P85 loaner on Saturday for a few hours and thoroughly enjoyed it. Didn't hit the 80mph limit, if there was one. But the only odd thing I noticed about it was how much higher the driver's seat position is when it's adjusted to its lowest setting, compared to my Sig S (non-perf) VIN 00118. That, and how much less range I would have if I was driving a Perf: my lifetime Wh/mi is 320 and I was over 370 in the loaner, in mixed city and highway driving (and never over 80mph).

Just wanted to comment on the "hum above 65" part of your post. I had the same thing, and just had it in for service, in conjunction with getting the tires rotated (i'm at around 7k miles). Turns out this was actually tire noise. When they rotated the tires and re-secured them, the noise went away. Of course, YMMV, but it sounded very familiar to me when you posted.

Tempus

Yeah, I thought of this, but I'm fairly certain it's not a tire noise thing, sounds like from the frunk area - pumping working hard maybe. The faster I go, the higher the pitch of the hum... but I wouldn't say it's a 1:1 correlation to actual speed, but close. Are you driving on 21" Conti's?

However, I can't entirely rule out tire noise either. Possible that the tread pattern hits a resonance at those speeds. The loaner, with same tires and wheels (nearly the same VIN, half the miles of mine), had this hum, but it was so slight if you weren't listening for it, you might not notice it.

The hum is constant and continuous across all road surfaces. It's annoying for sure.

I had the same problem with the P85 Pearl White loaner car I picked up from the Fremont service center last week. I reported the noise to them. It was very noticeable at 70MPH and above. It did not appear to be speed limited. They also had a brown loaner but they couldn't get the key fob to work.

Yeah, I thought of this, but I'm fairly certain it's not a tire noise thing, sounds like from the frunk area - pumping working hard maybe. The faster I go, the higher the pitch of the hum... but I wouldn't say it's a 1:1 correlation to actual speed, but close. Are you driving on 21" Conti's?

However, I can't entirely rule out tire noise either. Possible that the tread pattern hits a resonance at those speeds. The loaner, with same tires and wheels (nearly the same VIN, half the miles of mine), had this hum, but it was so slight if you weren't listening for it, you might not notice it.

The hum is constant and continuous across all road surfaces. It's annoying for sure.

it could certainly be something different - i was just struck by the similarity. Mine was also coming from the front of the car (frunk area, or behind the dash... ), and definitely only at high speeds. I have the 19" tires btw.

I picked up a multi-coat red P85 at Rockville this morning - gorgeous color by the way! I noticed a familiar driver profile name "KWH2MPH" and I said, "Hey, I know that guy!" Hi Peter! I promptly saved my profile name "DRK NRG" and I highly recommend that others follow this practice too.

On a related note, the map screen had the previous charge locations displaying. I was seeing red lightning bolts in DC neighborhoods as I drove around today. I'm not super paranoid about Tesla seeing my charging history, but the aggregated data in a loaner car is something very different. Thinking about it a little more, the Bluetooth history showed several phone names too, Hi Danny! At least the call history and contact information is not available when the phone is not connected. I think I'll recommend that the service center consider clearing some of this data out before they turn a loaner over.

I picked up a loaner P85 while my P85 is in the Service Center this week. While most of the personalization data can be removed from the car when you turn it in (such as manually removing the Bluetooth pairing or deleting the navigation places), you cannot delete the recent charging places. So when I turn the car in, it will have my home address, along with the home addresses of anyone else who charged the loaner overnight.

I sent an e-mail to Ownership - and they admitted this could be a serious privacy issue and they indicated the service centers will be notified to reset the car to default settings to clear the personal information in the cars.

I also suggested that they offer one or two new functions in settings:

"Clear Personal Data" - would remove all of the personal data in the car. I've had this in my last few cars.

"Reset to Default Settings" - would also reset all of the settings back to the factory default.

It sounds like these features may already be in the service menus for the car - would be helpful to make those available to owners. Not only covers the loaner situation, but also for when a car is re-sold. Though today you can still take the car into service and ask them to do this for you.

I did some service (window stopped working and there was some road noise) in Fremont earlier this week. Called and got in the same day.

They tried to give me a Roadster, but Mike (awesome!) noticed I'm super tall (6'6") and got me their Blue P85 (vin in the 11000's, rear child seats, etc...) instead. Fantastic car. My 8-year old daughter demanded to be transported in the back for some short local errands. Speed limited at 80 mph and I assure you that I hit this limit repeatedly. :) Only downside was that loaners don't have the HOV sticker, so my morning commute took longer.

Overall my experience with service is a lot better than it was back in Feb/Mar when it seemed impossible to get appointments and the idea of a loaner car (let alone a P85) would have been laughable. Thanks to Ninos (who just started last week -- joined from Lexus) and Mike in Fremont for an excellent experience.

Clayton

I picked up a multi-coat red P85 at Rockville this morning - gorgeous color by the way! I noticed a familiar driver profile name "KWH2MPH" and I said, "Hey, I know that guy!" Hi Peter! I promptly saved my profile name "DRK NRG" and I highly recommend that others follow this practice too.

On a related note, the map screen had the previous charge locations displaying. I was seeing red lightning bolts in DC neighborhoods as I drove around today. I'm not super paranoid about Tesla seeing my charging history, but the aggregated data in a loaner car is something very different. Thinking about it a little more, the Bluetooth history showed several phone names too, Hi Danny! At least the call history and contact information is not available when the phone is not connected. I think I'll recommend that the service center consider clearing some of this data out before they turn a loaner over.

When I took out my loaner, I saw two profiles with first names (something like Sally, and John), and then I created a profile for me and labeled it "6' Drvr. No creep on". Figured that would be more helpful for the next person.

Also made sure to have the car forget my iPhone when I dropped it back off.

Just a quick note about the price increase...

A "fully optioned top-of-the-line performance loaner" just got a lot more expensive. This perhaps is part of the master plan to keep loaners in stock for customers having vehicle service.

red tesla.jpg

I enjoyed this loaner out of the San Rafael Service Center for a few days this week. In SF, I was parking diagonally into a high curb, so I spent a minute looking around on the main screen to raise the car up to very high...then I realized that it did NOT have air suspension!