Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85 motor transplant?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hi all,

I've searched the internet for the past year.. I'm curious if it would ever be possible to upgrade my late 2015 70 to have the engine from the P85? When I bought my car, large drink was a critical feature. Don't regret that decision - especially now that such an option doesn't exist! But I nearly bought a P85 that was the one of the last off the and had AP hardware. Ultimately that seemed like a poor decision and I took delivery of my 70. But I always wondered if I could ever "upgrade" to the larger engine, and wondered if the associated power delivery from the 70 battery would drive it any harder.

There are a lot of critical data points here and I don't really have any of them. For example, exact spec info on the "P rear" motor vs the non P one. Whether or not the P85's rear motor is the same as the one on the PXXD models. Exact info on the power delivery capability of the various battery packs - the smaller 70 can deliver less power than 85 apparently but details seem murky. The size of the actual space where the motor gets installed. If a service center would need to unlock something - which may be the ultimate issue.

When I lay it all out on the table, it seems like it's highly improbable that it could be done, but as time moves on and more S's end up in graveyards, the costs on the parts may become somewhat reasonable.. and since it's impossible to configure a new S the way mine is (several aspects I love about mine), I figure it's worth considering if this upgrade can be done because it's about the only tweak I'd make to my S

Thanks for any technical info or comments!

Short answer is yes.

Long answer is its a fair amount of work and you'll need to get a few people to help who do this kind of thing around here. Not sure if they charge, etc;

If you do it yourself you're in "losing my warranty" territory. If you get lucky like me and get a warranty (rear knock noise) P85D motor replacement in your Base 85... then you may have an easier time :p

I'm not sure how much benefit you would get without the 85 or 90kWh battery. The 70 just doesn't have as much power to push to the P motors.

That and there is no official software option for it, so it might be really difficult to do.