Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P90D accident and 10 month repair is still counting.....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
upload_2017-12-13_13-36-52.png

"A" marks the spot it seems. You're luck there were no other cars parked there.. I don't have my Model S yet (next week), but already sweating over ANY type of fender-bender.

• Informative
Reactions: thegooch49
Having been involved in an actual collision that resulted in less damage than shown here, I believe you are mistaken about that.

"...a few degrees above...", meaning the OP's accident was not minor IMO. Perhaps you took my description too literally. The accident was in fact many degrees above a minor fender bender.

Perhaps I am still missing your point.
giphy (1).gif

"...a few degrees above...", meaning the OP's accident was not minor IMO. Perhaps you took my description too literally. The accident was in fact many degrees above a minor fender bender.

Perhaps I am still missing your point.
View attachment 266434
I probably misinterpreted your post. When you said "The accident appears to be small relative to..." in the immediately preceding sentence that lead me to insert an implied "(only)" before "a few degrees".

Reactions: Sawyer8888
Have you continued to carry insurance coverage on your Tesla this whole time? It just occurred to me this morning that there's no reason to be doing that (mine's been in the shop for coming up on three months now) and I contacted my agent. They can't drop it 100%, but they are going to refund a large portion of what I've been paying since the accident.

• Informative
Reactions: bmah and MP3Mike
Have you continued to carry insurance coverage on your Tesla this whole time? It just occurred to me this morning that there's no reason to be doing that (mine's been in the shop for coming up on three months now) and I contacted my agent. They can't drop it 100%, but they are going to refund a large portion of what I've been paying since the accident.

Yes, you should be able to suspend collision/liability coverage, but most insurance companies won't offer you that information. You probably want to keep comprehensive coverage active. (Which is normally inexpensive anyway.)

10 months???? Ridiculous. I ran over something on the road 2 months ago, sustained a lot of damage under the car. The entire process from tow to the dealership---inspection by the manufacturer engineer (to determine who was at fault)---insurance adjuster came out to get the value of the car and cost of repair----determination that it was a total loss----paying the finance company: took 1 month. Of course this was not a Model S/X. Tesla has a lot to learn and improve.

Reactions: bdavid01
10 months???? Ridiculous. I ran over something on the road 2 months ago, sustained a lot of damage under the car. The entire process from tow to the dealership---inspection by the manufacturer engineer (to determine who was at fault)---insurance adjuster came out to get the value of the car and cost of repair----determination that it was a total loss----paying the finance company: took 1 month. Of course this was not a Model S/X. Tesla has a lot to learn and improve.
I don't know how you can compare a situation involving a total loss with any car to a repair situation with any other car.

Holy schtuff.... thats smart as heck. Hopefully I won't need to use this information but ...SMART!

Holy cow, that's not small! Hope you and the passenger were alright after it. Did the airbags deploy?

I'm surprised your insurance didn't just total the car, given the cost of the repairs; any reason for that? Is it not costing USAA more now to just repair it for you?
Car still in the shop still as of this posting 12-19-17, accident was 2-2-17, started estimating 2-10-17. both front airbags deployed. i never touched it but my passenger wasn't in his seat belt so he got a face/neck full as he was leaning to the right side while i was trying to get the belt in the buckle as he was a plus sized fella and that car is not meant for bigger boys. I told them from day 1 that they said they were going to repair it that it was going to get nickel and dime'd in supplemental's and sure enough, 2nd one was 3 months late (like it was being deliberately hidden so USAA wouldn't be able to back out as parts were installed,etc) and when i finally pinched a fit they notified usaa (all documented) . I Just leaned that the left shock air lift was replaced this week also but done under Tesla 'warranty' but the car was 8 months old so of course it was accident related and yet usaa isn't paying, Tesla is eating it, and my car isn't getting totaled- so i now own a Frankenstein! lol

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ModelX
@bdavid01,
I'm sorry about your accident and I feel your pain for being without your car.
Early into my ownership 4 years ago I rear-ended another driver at low speed and the car was in the shop for 3-4 months. I'm grateful nobody was hurt in my incident as well as yours.
The insurance issues aside, and not meaning to minimize them, you're really looking for validation to guilt Tesla into giving you something for nothing. In my experience with Tesla so far, they seem to recognize when they mess up and will generally try to make it right. I've received far more goodwill from the service department than I would have asked for. You want to raise the stakes and ask for something first? Go ahead but just be prepared to walk away if they say no.
On pure ethics alone, I think it's ballsy to expect consideration for an incident that you were at fault for. The causality chain, including the insurance screw-ups, Tesla's parts performance and your Dodge nightmare, started with you driving distracted. When I got my car back it was like starting all over again so I hope it's the same for you.
Good Luck.
I appreciate your comments and sorry for the delay in responding. I agree with you and your assessment and yes, I did break my car, 100% my fault. Tesla service has been superb in every way they can be and have been fantastic in every regard and I applaud our Dallas team! As the only parts provider, I didn't want a hand out but perhaps a discounted offering,etc. would have been nice. Having read what you've said, I think that you're right. I guess my mindset was that it never hurts to ask but in this case, asking might be the worst thing. Thank you for the assistance.

Did OP choose to get the salvage car + cash and fix himself over being totaled by insurance and one time pay-off?
Holy cow, that's not small! Hope you and the passenger were alright after it. Did the airbags deploy?

I'm surprised your insurance didn't just total the car, given the cost of the repairs; any reason for that? Is it not costing USAA more now to just repair it for you?
I probably misinterpreted your post. When you said "The accident appears to be small relative to..." in the immediately preceding sentence that lead me to insert an implied "(only)" before "a few degrees".
Im so sorry about this confusion, when i said small accident or whatever it was, i was being sarcastic. it sucked and scared the hell out of me. if you look at the picture of the accident scene someone posted earlier you can see that i was just left of the open area of road in the rear of the building for which i was heading towards. veering left a little and then headed for the wall, braked, hard right, collision. 10 more feet either way (distance or to the rt) and the accident wouldn't have happened.

How was USAA not in the loop on the estimating process? Wasn't it their adjuster (or their authorized shop) doing the estimating? What was the drivers for that crazy long repair time? Was it really all just waiting for parts from Tesla?
ALL of the process has been done at the Tesla authorized repair shop. the claim is that Tesla keeps sending the wrong parts and in one case they sent it 3 times! the shop gave me about 3 inches of printed emails of the back and forth regarding incorrect parts.

This is a bummer. Yeah the repair process, delays, escalation of costs, and long repair times will really hurt Tesla. Word of mouth is powerful.. You have a sweet car, everyone around you finds out, your car gets in an accident, and everyone around you realizes that the sweet car takes 3 months to a year for repair. I'm sure with each of these cases, Tesla looses quite a lot of potential buyers.

I really hope the model 3 is much easier to repair... I keep hoping to hear less of these stories... This does look like a bit more than a minor accident (maybe if it weren't a Tesla -- but that's not the case unfortunately).
I believe most repairs really do get done much faster and that this is a exception and not the rule. Ive worked hard to not share anything on normal public media like facebook, etc. when asked i down play the whole thing alot and its really getting hard. one of the best things that has happened is that Tesla service Dallas have stepped in to assist where they can and have donated work, etc to keeps costs done for the repair which makes them amazing. The issue for me is that the repair should have never been performed as it was obvious to everyone that saw the car how bad it really was. Tesla isn't part of this process, its handled by the insurance and a tesla certified mechanic. I knew walking away from the shop to expect a 70+k bill per a conversation with the mechanic doing the work. I said repeatedly that day to all involved that i felt that this was going to get slow played and eventually supplemental's would drive the price so high that there was no backing out. When the estimate came it was submitted for 56k x 90 days so the process moved along. . salvage is 34, value was 105, that leaves 71k to rebuild. At 80k (current total) its over by almost 10k and should have been totaled! I just learned tonight that Tesla replaced the left air strut which i'm sure was crazy expensive ( rt side was already replaced in claim) so add what, 2000+ ? To eat that cost under warranty knowing it was accident related only confirms that everyone involved realizes that this should have been totaled!! but I'm still in my rental and haven't heard from the shop in over 3-4 weeks, yet got an email from Tesla tonight. Bottom line, i had an accident and i was to blame. Thank goodness that Tesla Service Dallas has some serious rockstars and i'm so grateful for that! I wish that they did the body repairs as well as things might have been very different. Don't ever have an accident. ever. ever.

So I’m a USAA member too and unfortunately, about a year ago I did have a minor accident in my S - slid in some snow and hit a curb at about 5-10 MPH - the knuckle broke off of the drag link and needed basically the front suspension system replaced - small accident and a lot of damage from hitting a curb.

1. Did you take it to a USAA authorized shop or to your own shop like a Tesla authorized? I went to the USAA one as the Tesla one was overwhelmed and told me it would be 3 months until they even got to it - the USAA one dealt with it immediately. This could have something to do with delays to get started on yours which may have added to timeline.

2. I’ve had USAA for 30+ years and never have I had problems on the estimate - was it the USAA adjuster who came up with the #’s or the shop?

This is a very unfortunate situation to read about - and I am sorry for you - it was an accident and that sucks. Unfortunately, any delays on my S getting fixed was totally linked to delays in parts from Tesla and I am really wondering if the shop is not the problem here.

Best of luck and sympathies...it does suck to be without the car but at least Tesla stepped up, through no fault of theirs (unless they realize that their shop and supply train is the problem) with a nice loaner. Free Ludicrous? I’m not sure they owe you anything...but it never hurts to ask.

Reactions: bdavid01