Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P90D Ludicrous mode video

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My understanding is they don't need to trade in their current cars to get a P85D with Ludicrous mode (or extra fleecing mode as I call it).

They can upgrade for a little over $5K.

They won't get the extra range, but that marginal amount of extra range isn't worth going through all that hassle.

New buyers are the ones that really have a dilemma. Do you really want to spend $10K more (assuming they opt for the 90 upgrade for more range) to simply accelerate a few tenths of a seconds faster to 60? Or get to 155mph 20% faster, but you can't actually stay at 155mph. It's just some weird temporary only speed. Just like you can't keep doing 0-60 runs back to back with the same 2.8 seconds time. You have to let the electronics cool.

I seriously question a persons priorities on this planet if they go and spend $10K extra on a fuse to go a few tenths of a seconds faster every once in awhile in a massive spaceship sized family sedan. At that point it's not about using it, but about being able to make a claim at some cocktail party.

That $10K is $10K that's not going to anything really useful. That's 10K not being used to put Solar Panels on some house of someone/something that will really benefit from it.
That $10K is $10K that's not going to get some poor person affordable transportation
That $10K is just another 10K to indicate how substantially disconnected you are from the realities of the real world.

I'm not ridiculing anyone personally for their decisions on what to buy. I certainly have wasted good money on things other people thought were silly. Like a $2000 twenty minute Jet Fighter flight. I'm simply saying these are things people have to ask themselves before forking over $10K for a fancy fuse on top of a car that's already quite ridiculous.

I honestly don't know why Tesla keeps banging this drum. Sure I know that profit margin on that mode is ludicrous, and that's hard for them to pass up. But, there are so many things about the car that needs to be improved to fit the expectation of someone spending $125K+ on a car.

The fit and finish. How much higher in sky can the price be when the fit and finish really isn't as good as a $40K Audi? When people in this forum comment about how good the current generation fit and finish is they're not comparing it to other cars. They're comparing it to older Tesla's.
Road Noise and Rattles? Why not improve it to reduce these? I have a 70D, and in this area it's barely passable when compared to the competition.
The reliability? How about using that engineering talent that went into that electronic fuse to fix the 12V battery issue, or get to the bottom of the power inverter failures. I'd rather celebrate how reliable my $90K+ car is instead of going "Well they're a new company".

Now don't get me wrong I love my 70D, but I'm seriously beginning to wonder what Tesla's priorities are.

Engineering isn't a free endless resource that one can pull from. It's a limited resource so why in the world is ludicrous getting so much attention? Is this really their way of marketing? It's not actually useful in actual driving in the real world. It's useful for press releases, and car mags.

It's not useful on the track because you can't do more than one or two laps without it slowing down to cool down.
Could be fun on a dragstrip.

First off did you ever think that maybe the fuse issue was where a lot of the overheating was coming from? It could be that this improvement is the all around fux to improve not just the speeds but longevity of the car. We will know more when someone gets a hold of one.

Second, the very complaint about " excessive" spending is hypocritical at the core. Because the Model S, even the base 70kwh is an excessive car. Singular car ownership is likely excessive for most people. And if you did actually need something because of where you live then a Model S is not something someone *needs* therefore making the entire purchase a waste of money and able to be spent for something of greater "importance".

So since we are all owners of an excessive car, I suggest you not judge someone for being slightly more excessive because they want that little faster performance.

And in the grand scheme of things, that 10k isn't wasted. If the GM on that is as high as is speculated (someone around here threw out a 90% estimation) then you are actually putting that 10k to very good use. Because you just gave Tesla 10k to use to grow into a larger and better company. It's like one of those charity events where you pay like 10k for something worth only 1k and it is an excuse to buy something way over price for a good cause.

First off did you ever think that maybe the fuse issue was where a lot of the overheating was coming from? It could be that this improvement is the all around fux to improve not just the speeds but longevity of the car. We will know more when someone gets a hold of one.

Second, the very complaint about " excessive" spending is hypocritical at the core. Because the Model S, even the base 70kwh is an excessive car. Singular car ownership is likely excessive for most people. And if you did actually need something because of where you live then a Model S is not something someone *needs* therefore making the entire purchase a waste of money and able to be spent for something of greater "importance".

So since we are all owners of an excessive car, I suggest you not judge someone for being slightly more excessive because they want that little faster performance.

And in the grand scheme of things, that 10k isn't wasted. If the GM on that is as high as is speculated (someone around here threw out a 90% estimation) then you are actually putting that 10k to very good use. Because you just gave Tesla 10k to use to grow into a larger and better company. It's like one of those charity events where you pay like 10k for something worth only 1k and it is an excuse to buy something way over price for a good cause.

The fuse isn't where the overheating is coming from. We know that already. The entire overheating is very well documented in terms of what heats up and how fast/long you can go before the car forces you to slow down. Now it is true we don't know how this option impacts that. We don't know if Tesla made any improvements or not. We'll have to wait and see how long this power is good for before it has to cool down. The lack of information makes me fear that this time will be shorter than the P85D because of the increase in power.

As to being a hypocrite I already mentioned in my original message my own frivolous spending using what I feel are stronger examples of frivolous spending than the 70D. :)

What it comes down to is questioning the merits of something, and trying not to be too judgmental of the person that spent that money.

So what are the merits of it that people point out? Are they really as true as what people believe them to be, or are there holes in their logic?

I've seen two primary justifications, and one downright silly one for this $10K "fuse".

The first one is how expensive performance super cars are and how relatively cheap it is in comparison. but, it's comparing apples to oranges. The super cars are meant to go that fast nearly all day long or at least for a lot of laps compared to one lap. They're meant to be used on the track, and the majority of them are fairly track ready. Good luck taking the P90D to the track and having it do more than one fast lap.

The second justification is in terms of performance gain versus price it's actually not that bad compared to modifications a performance ICE car takes to go just a little faster. Again it's an Apples versus Oranges comparison that has the same issues as the first one.

The third justification seems to be "hey it could help Tesla make more profit and that's a good thing right?". I don't personally believe in charity cases. I'm not going to give Tesla an unearned dime because to me just giving someone money means they'll waste it. Instead you force a company to be better, and to come out with compelling options with clear technical specs to back up claims.

I wouldn't have any complaints with this $10K upgrade if it was more real, or at the very least it stated the limitations in a concise and clear manner.

They also weren't very forthright with the tech specs on the capabilities of the P85D, and guess what? A lot of owners felt a bit cheated.

THIS QUOTE FROM S4WRX: I totally agree with. I WANT to buy another Model S, but the fit and finish is NOT as good as my 2009 Hyundai Genesis, and that's not a joke. If it's $140,000 car, make the interior, sound problems, wind problems, squeeks, rattles, etc reflect that. I just rode in a new P85D, and although better, it's the same plasticy feeling, squeek bucket. I'm waiting for the fit and finish and MATERIALS to be MUCH better and reflective of an expensive car that's half the price of a P85D before buying again. Ya got the seats right, now work at the stuff I can see and hear please :)

"The fit and finish. How much higher in sky can the price be when the fit and finish really isn't as good as a $40K Audi? When people in this forum comment about how good the current generation fit and finish is they're not comparing it to other cars. They're comparing it to older Tesla's.
Road Noise and Rattles? Why not improve it to reduce these? I have a 70D, and in this area it's barely passable when compared to the competition.
The reliability? How about using that engineering talent that went into that electronic fuse to fix the 12V battery issue, or get to the bottom of the power inverter failures. I'd rather celebrate how reliable my $90K+ car is instead of going "Well they're a new company".

So have I. I just got my P85D on July 10th and I am looking forward to upgrading to Ludicrous Speed. I am also looking at it from a perspective of an overall improved component (fuse and battery contractor) that may make the vehicle more durable.