Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint Protection Film Service Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I've been looking for a place that does paint protection film service to Model X around the GTA. Looking to apply Xpel Ultimate and window tint the front driver side and passenger side windows.

Just wondering if anyone had any experience with the following places:

SRSTint (Mississauga)
Touch of Tint (Mississauga)
Getdetailed (Markham)
Apshield (Markham)

If anyone has any other recommendations that would be great as well.

Thanks.

I had mine done at SRSTint about 6 weeks ago.

I opted for the Gold package and the did my mirrors and headlights because they don't do door cups on the Model S.

They had my car the entire day. Work was done ver well but not absolutely perfect. I have 1 small bubble on a lower corner of th front bumper. I only noticed it when washing the car. It isn't bad at all but I can't say my job is "perfect".

There is also some small bubbling on the inside of the hood, right st the lip. Again this is invisible unless you open the hood.

I chose the 3M Pro. I believe Xpel was the same price and Suntek was cheaper. Overall I was happy with their work.

SRS also has about a million positive reviews all over the internet, which are about 98% fake, I believe, but that seems to be how they market themselves.

• Helpful
Reactions: Shaz
I had mine done at SRSTint about 6 weeks ago.

I opted for the Gold package and the did my mirrors and headlights because they don't do door cups on the Model S.

They had my car the entire day. Work was done ver well but not absolutely perfect. I have 1 small bubble on a lower corner of th front bumper. I only noticed it when washing the car. It isn't bad at all but I can't say my job is "perfect".

There is also some small bubbling on the inside of the hood, right st the lip. Again this is invisible unless you open the hood.

I chose the 3M Pro. I believe Xpel was the same price and Suntek was cheaper. Overall I was happy with their work.

SRS also has about a million positive reviews all over the internet, which are about 98% fake, I believe, but that seems to be how they market themselves.

Thanks Struja. Yeah I noticed quite a few good reviews online, only to find some refuting that those are fake. But your insight helps. Thanks!

Thanks Struja. Yeah I noticed quite a few good reviews online, only to find some refuting that those are fake. But your insight helps. Thanks!

I had suspected they were fakes but in between all of the rubbish I figured a few sounded pretty real. For me, there were no surprises. I've heard of some installation horror stories and mine went well.

My wife drives an RX and she had hers done before we bought it and the job/product on my Model S is way better than hers. Better product and a better install.

I'm looking for pretty much the same thing, looking to get a Model X done in PPF full car except the roof and two front windows tinted. Anyone else have any recommendations for PPF ? I had my Model S done at SekanSkin in Mississauga and they did an amazing job but the cost for the whole vehicle they quoted me was $6500. Currently I'm planning on going with SmartDetail, they have done quite a few high end cars and Model X's and they quoted me $4500 plus $200 for the Tint which seems reasonable.

Advance auto films quoted me $8500 for the whole car excluding Tint which seems really high. Both of these places have done a lot of Tesla's

• Informative
I'm looking for pretty much the same thing, looking to get a Model X done in PPF full car except the roof and two front windows tinted. Anyone else have any recommendations for PPF ? I had my Model S done at SekanSkin in Mississauga and they did an amazing job but the cost for the whole vehicle they quoted me was $6500. Currently I'm planning on going with SmartDetail, they have done quite a few high end cars and Model X's and they quoted me $4500 plus $200 for the Tint which seems reasonable.

Advance auto films quoted me $8500 for the whole car excluding Tint which seems really high. Both of these places have done a lot of Tesla's

Which type of film? I think the $4,500 is a reasonable price for 3M or XPEL but high for Suntek. I think $8,500 is outrageous.

Hello,

I've been looking for a place that does paint protection film service to Model X around the GTA. Looking to apply Xpel Ultimate and window tint the front driver side and passenger side windows.

Just wondering if anyone had any experience with the following places:

SRSTint (Mississauga)
Touch of Tint (Mississauga)
Getdetailed (Markham)
Apshield (Markham)

If anyone has any other recommendations that would be great as well.

Thanks.

Shaz,

You are on the right track in order to get your Model X protected. Three out of the four shop you mentioned are qualified installers on our locator. I have provided a link for you to see our other shops located in the Mississauga Area. The quotes others received sound pretty reasonable, as a full wrap usually ranges in price between $5000 – $9000 depending on your car, location, and installer. Most Model X owners are going down the path of getting a full wrap, instead of just a full front. If you have any more questions, feel free to contact us and let us know.

• Helpful
Something I rarely hear mentioned until it's too late when talking about PPF... that is what happens when the PPF has served it's purpose and you go to remove it. What kind of guarantee is the shop giving you that when removing the film years later it won't pull up the existing paint? We see this on at least 1/3 of the PPF removal jobs here in our shop, especially if there's been any kind of repaint or substandard paint-correction (staring directly at the Tesla factory on this one). See the pic below for an example.

What happens is the adhesive bond of the PPF to your clear coat can be stronger than the bond between the clear coat and the base color coat, or the base color coat to the primer, or the primer to the base metal. The result is a "pulling up" of the actual paint, not good! You spent thousands to protect your paint and now you have to get a panel or two repainted anyway, and you had to look at a less shiny and less slick surface the whole time the PPF was installed instead of experiencing a beautifully polished and shiny slick paint. (Obviously I'm not the biggest fan of PPF, but it certainly has its place sometimes)

So what's the answer?
1st: Don't go with PPF at all and just live with the occasional rock chip. The possible downside is if you live in the mountains or in areas that regularly sand the roads in winter or otherwise high road-debris areas then that must be taken into consideration. Do your other cars get peppered by rocks causing horribly unsightly chips and abrasion?

2nd: Have a high quality ceramic coating applied to your paint PRIOR to the PPF application so the film will release easier when removed years later. The PPF will still bond to the ceramic coating enough for a good application that won't lift over time, but the ceramic coating will give you a huge level of insurance against lifting the paint when the PPF is removed.

Just 2 cents of advice from someone who gets paid to remove PPF.

PPF damage.jpg

I am also pretty leary of any shop that won't advertise their prices online.

It need not be exact but they can have a "starting at" price list. My guess is that you roll in with your Model X and suddenly your price goes up 20% from the guy with the Equinox.

Thanks everyone for your input and recommendations. Definitely have alot to think about, luckily my delivery is estimated to be in September - early October. Plenty of time to do further research. Thanks again!

I had mine done at Auto-links. They've done Tint / PPF on a number of my cars. I've done Ventureshield/Avery Dennison/ XPel over the years and have seen the PPFs get better.

XPel seems to be very popular right now - it's an excellent product.

Give John a call - I've seen multiple Teslas in his shop.

• Helpful
What was the brand of the film? I've had to remove the film once from a bumper and it came of perfectly.
Rarely do we know the brand of film because it was usually applied years prior and owners seldom keep records or remember, or maybe it was already applied to the car when they bought it.
The point is that if the paint is substandard it won't matter much what brand the film is.
We've also removed hundreds of PPF with no issues whatsoever, but it's a gamble every time because you're working with someone elses unknown history.

Hi, I recently bought a Tesla Model 3 and am looking at PPF. Which is the best ? Xpel Ultimate+ or Llumar Platinum. Or is there a better product? And who is the best installer in Markham/Toronto area? I looked around and got good reviews for Auto Links and Get Detailed - not sure how many are fake. They seem to have good reviews. Do you know of any installers who are better? Will be really helpful if you can advise. Thanks

Hi, I recently bought a Tesla Model 3 and am looking at PPF. Which is the best ? Xpel Ultimate+ or Llumar Platinum. Or is there a better product? And who is the best installer in Markham/Toronto area? I looked around and got good reviews for Auto Links and Get Detailed - not sure how many are fake. They seem to have good reviews. Do you know of any installers who are better? Will be really helpful if you can advise. Thanks

Congrats on your new Model 3! I highly recommend Fabian at Evelyn Protective Films & Coatings in Markham. He works on a lot of Teslas and has a lot of experience with Model 3. I took my Model 3 to him for full frontal PPF with ClearGuard NANO. Check out some of his videos for detailed information

Congrats on your Model 3!

We may be a little biased but we vote XPEL ULTIMATE PLUS. It's by far the most durable and stain resistant film on the market. As the originators of self-healing and non-yellowing back in 2011, our ULTIMATE and ULTIMATE PLUS film have stood the test of time and over the last 8 years have been protecting thousands and thousands of cars globally. Check out the video below to see some of the rigorous tests we put the film through.

For a recommended installer, check out our XPEL Locator as we have locations in the Markham/Toronto area.
XPEL Installers Near You