Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint protection: PPF or Ceramic or both?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are advantages to each, and they work wonderfully together.

PPF: impact resistance, self healing of surface scratches, HydroResist top coat resistant to staining - 10 year warranty
Ceramic Coating: high level of hydrophobicity makes for easier cleaning, adds a deep gloss appearance

We've tested plenty of ceramic coatings in our lab and we warranty the application of ceramic coatings on top of our PPF because it extends the life of PPF according to our test results.

guys all got me worried on the rocker panel issues. i saw a red m3 while driving to work the other day and i guess it went through a NJ winter because its rockers looked the same. just got my MSM m3 and was goign to ppf just the bumper...

whats the cost of a repaint of the rockers vs the 1500$ of so to get it filmed?

Getting both PPF + ceramic is a bad use of money on a Model 3 IMO. Not worth it on a car in this price range. You'll get $0 back come resell.
True if your like me and you trade in your vehicles. I just want to protect the front facing surfaces and the A-Pillars from chipping. Especially the steel front quarter panels and the steel A-Pillars. If it was an S or X rust wouldn't be an issue.

Last edited:
guys all got me worried on the rocker panel issues. i saw a red m3 while driving to work the other day and i guess it went through a NJ winter because its rockers looked the same. just got my MSM m3 and was goign to ppf just the bumper...

whats the cost of a repaint of the rockers vs the 1500$ of so to get it filmed?

I am not sure of the cost, but I do know, based on a recent small repair I had done, that you can't just paint the rockers. You have to paint the adjoining panels so that the paint blends and matches. So you are probably talking about painting multiple panels adjacent to the rockers. I am guessing we are talking a major expense and, more importantly, a longer time the car is in the shop.

In my accident (the car was hit while parked), it was much easier to replace the protective film than it would have been to repaint the damaged areas. The film absorbed the damage so no repainting was necessary.

Same situation, would love both but beyond my budget. Decided for full front wrap and tint
That was my tactic also: Full front from windshield forward includes: Fascia, Hood, chin, full side front panels.
Then added side skirts & top lip of rear bumper for trunk loading protection.
Did my own coating by hand so saved $750+ there.

Like @RDubya has shown, a lot of people aren't thinking about these rocker panels on the Model 3. My recommendation is to protect the front bumper & lights with PPF at a minimum. Rock chips on that plastic front bumper are inevitable. Next would be the protecting the rocker panels since the sling from the front tires is just damage that your car does to itself. Those front tires kick up all sorts of stuff no matter what you do! (Especially sticky PS4S rubber) Of course if you're doing a decent amount of high speed/freeway driving protect the whole front end (hood+fenders). Ceramic on top of PPF and the rest of the vehicle.

TLDR: Ideally protect high risk impact zones with PPF, protect the car as a whole with ceramic.

-Kevin

Like @RDubya has shown, a lot of people aren't thinking about these rocker panels on the Model 3. My recommendation is to protect the front bumper & lights with PPF at a minimum. Rock chips on that plastic front bumper are inevitable. Next would be the protecting the rocker panels since the sling from the front tires is just damage that your car does to itself. Those front tires kick up all sorts of stuff no matter what you do! (Especially sticky PS4S rubber) Of course if you're doing a decent amount of high speed/freeway driving protect the whole front end (hood+fenders). Ceramic on top of PPF and the rest of the vehicle.

TLDR: Ideally protect high risk impact zones with PPF, protect the car as a whole with ceramic.

-Kevin
I totally agree, the rocker panels were high on my list when I ppfed my car.

Reactions: EliteFinish
Hey man!

I work for a vinyl, ceramic, and PPF shop in Langley, BC. I can certainly see if I can get you a better price on PPF. I'd recommend what the guys said above and start out with as much PPF protection as you can afford, and then move on to ceramic on top after if you'd like.

Send me a message if you want some quotes!

Cheers
Can you contact me about your PPF in Langley?