Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint repair: go to Tesla or a local shop?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
DAMMIT! One+ months into ownership, and I misjudged the front-right corner of my Model Y and scraped some paint off on a shopping cart rack. Fortunately there's no underlying part damage - just missing paint and some scratches.

What is your experience? Is there an advantage to going to a Tesla service center go have this fixed, or just go to a trusted local paint and bodywork shop? The big difference to me is that the nearest Tesla service center is 60+ miles away.

Attachments

• IMG_4546.jpg
    IMG_4546.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 656
Tesla Service Centers do not perform body repairs to my knowledge. the in-house option would be, they put touch up paint on that area or replace the front fascia. Otherwise they sublet the work out to a third party. You may want to look for a third party mobile paint repair or tesla certified body shop for a quicker turn around

DAMMIT! One+ months into ownership, and I misjudged the front-right corner of my Model Y and scraped some paint off on a shopping cart rack. Fortunately there's no underlying part damage - just missing paint and some scratches.

What is your experience? Is there an advantage to going to a Tesla service center go have this fixed, or just go to a trusted local paint and bodywork shop? The big difference to me is that the nearest Tesla service center is 60+ miles away.
Why not using some touchpaint, unless you plan selling your car very soon.
Expect having other bumpers scratches in the futur, but you might not want to visit a bodyshop every time...

Otherwise try Body Shop Support using your zipcode to find a Tesla Bodyshop.

This might be quite expensive because the bumper will need to be removed, and sometime it is even cheaper to get the bumper replaced,
something that the service center could perform.

Note: For a minor scratch when there is no body part replacement, I'm sure any body shop could do the job.

Body part replacement, what a body shop call 'structural damage', is very common because aluminium cannot be stretched back or get body filler.

Last edited:
Reactions: X-pilot
Why not using some touchpaint, unless you plan selling your car very soon.
Expect having other bumpers scratches in the futur, but you might not want to visit a bodyshop every time...
I'll follow that advice, Watts. Thanks for talking me down! (Was SERIOUSLY pissed at myself)

As I said, fortunately no structural damage. The barrier I brushed was flexible. Whew!

I used to own a Cannondale all aluminum bike that took a blow to the top tube, so very aware of the issue. One expensive bike frame gone in an instant!

Reactions: Watts_Up
I'll follow that advice, Watts. Thanks for talking me down! (Was SERIOUSLY pissed at myself)

As I said, fortunately no structural damage. The barrier I brushed was flexible. Whew!

I used to own a Cannondale all aluminum bike that took a blow to the top tube, so very aware of the issue. One expensive bike frame gone in an instant!
The result might not be as shinny but nobody will noticed it beside you !!! There are tons of Youtube videos for getting some tips.

Note: I imagine you will get similar experience with your wheels...

I scratched my wheel recently when exiting from a parallel parking.​
I was thinking been in D (forward) but I was in R (reverse) and hit the curb before I had time to stop the car...​
I used some Bondo filler and grey touch-up paint.​
I have also a Cannodale road bike, but a cheaper model with steel fork and wheels, which was heavier but may be more durable.
I still need to replace some broken spokes time to time to straighten my rear wheel.

Last edited: