Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scratched black paint - fix it or forget it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed some small scratches on the rear passenger side of my month old MY.

Not sure when it happened, how it happened, or even what it is. The direction seems to be going away from the rear wheel, which would indicate to me that someone grazed me when they were leaving their space (I usually back into spaces). Sentry mode has nothing that seems to be related to this unfortunately.

I can't quite tell if it's paint from another vehicle on my car (which I'm not super concerned about even if I don't like it). Or if my black paint has been scraped off, which I'm not sure if that's a risk for rust or other future damage. I'm in Colorado which uses magnesium chloride on the roads when it snows, which will be happening soon.

What should I do? Should I get the Tesla paint repair kit and give it a go? Go to a detailer? Forget about it?

Attachments

• IMG_4043.jpeg
    IMG_4043.jpeg
    658.2 KB · Views: 247
I don’t think that will buff out. Once you see the white under the paint, it’s got to be covered with paint.

Tesla paint would work, but you have to be very precise and don’t expect it fix it on first 5 tries, lol. Maybe a trip to a body shop is best. Will cost more but it ll be tye best result

Reactions: arky and fsb1
Washed my black Model S today and found a 4-5 inch scratch on the driver’s rear quarter panel. See the two images. I hope it can be buffed out, but it looks too deep to me. I checked my sentry videos but didn‘t see anything. There were a few days when the SanDisk wasn’t working. This
2778035F-2ED1-48A9-844B-C31005C0AA1F.jpeg
doesn’t look like a rock chip to me. I hate to think someone intentionally scratched my car!

Get a scratch remover (the likes of G3). Put it on a micro fibre cloth and start buffing it out in straight lines (left to right - right to left , up down and down up ). Don’t do circular motion .i promise you the scratch will either completely go away or look much less conspicuous that you will ignore it.

Reactions: KevinT3141
Sorry for the bad photo. Here’s another angle of the scratch on my black LR S. Traveling this week, but will take it to the shop that did the ceramic coating to see what they can do. I wish I could catch the ass who keyed it.

Attachments

• CB81D287-27BF-4887-B0BB-C1C9C412C829.jpeg
    CB81D287-27BF-4887-B0BB-C1C9C412C829.jpeg
    469.1 KB · Views: 45
Sorry for the bad photo. Here’s another angle of the scratch on my black LR S. Traveling this week, but will take it to the shop that did the ceramic coating to see what they can do. I wish I could catch the ass who keyed it.
You sure someone keyed it? Wouldn’t that have triggered a sentry alert? I’d expect an intentional keying to do a lot more damage

You guys might remember my S LR was scratched and I put a picture up. I got a few estimates on a respray and went with the Tesla service center’s estimate. $1,300. Before they did the respray, they were cleaning and buffing the car and realized they could correct most of the scratch without having to respray it at all! In the end the cost was around $100.00 and only a small mark remains visible. I know Tesla service gets a lot of bad press and reviews, but they did a great job in this case!! See the picture below.

Attachments

• 0BFE2612-A5EA-4C6A-BCDF-0B35D6C7A70E.jpeg
    0BFE2612-A5EA-4C6A-BCDF-0B35D6C7A70E.jpeg
    353.5 KB · Views: 23
You guys might remember my S LR was scratched and I put a picture up. I got a few estimates on a respray and went with the Tesla service center’s estimate. $1,300. Before they did the respray, they were cleaning and buffing the car and realized they could correct most of the scratch without having to respray it at all! In the end the cost was around $100.00 and only a small mark remains visible. I know Tesla service gets a lot of bad press and reviews, but they did a great job in this case!! See the picture below.
So I was right then, buffing will remove most of the scratches .