Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opinions on repair cost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone. A neighbor backed into my car while parked on the side of the street. I got a quote for $3,000 from a local reputable body shop. The bulk of the damage is to the front bumper. Most of it’s just a paint job. The plastic under the car that connects to the bumper was partially damaged as well along with the clips/plastic that wraps around the wheel well. No wheel damage.

I know Tesla’s are pricey to repair, but before pulling the trigger (using the neighbors insurance) I wanted to be sure. Still waiting on an estimate from Tesla to compare.

Does the estimate sound about right?

IMG_1335.jpeg
IMG_1351.jpeg

Have you tried a Sameday Scratch / dent repair or similar? I got things done perfectly there that looked worse for $300. You could pocket the difference, get acceleration boost and still be $700 ahead.

It's just a thought, and maybe worth getting a bid. Of course, pictures could decive and it's actually worse than it looks here.

Reactions: Rhuse
Tesla’s are pricey to repair
Actually, Tesla parts aren’t that pricey, if you’re able to get them. It’s the labor costs that kills.

Just a SWAG… a pre-painted front bumper cover/fascia may run about $1200 and the impacted trim a few hundred dollars more. FWIW, the Internet stranger is saying $2-2.5k. Might help to get another third party quote just to compare against.

Good luck!

Reactions: Rhuse and fsb1
Have you tried a Sameday Scratch / dent repair or similar? I got things done perfectly there that looked worse for $300. You could pocket the difference, get acceleration boost and still be $700 ahead.

It's just a thought, and maybe worth getting a bid. Of course, pictures could decive and it's actually worse than it looks here.
I live in NJ. Is that a chain? I haven’t seen anything like it. Here’s a summary of estimated totals for labor and parts for reference.

It looks like they’re saying it’s more than paint. Also replacing parts under the fender and bumper that connects everything together and the plastic cover? I wish I knew more about this stuff. Pocketing and getting the boost always sounds nice! Haha
IMG_1371.jpeg

That's kinda excessive in my opinion. I know for a fact that factory pre-painted front bumper cover costs around $1000 and the SC will install it for another $200 or so. You can only order the bumper through the SC and they have to do the work tho. You may need another bumper clip on that side but you should be able to get it all taken care of for less than $1500. This way, you won't have to depend on the bodyshop to try and match the paint either.