Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pairing TPMS after Wheel/Tire Swap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have two wheel/tire sets for my 2014 P85: 21" Turbines on Continental DW (OEM) and 19" Slipstreams on Michelin X-Ice 3. The 21" are on the car when it's warm (summer) weather and the 19" are on the car when it's cold (winter) weather, similar to some on this forum who get snow. Both sets have Tesla OEM Gen 1 TPMS.

Unfortunately, every time I swap between the sets, I need to have TPMS reset by Tesla. Has anyone figured a way around this? While I can always find another reason (complaint) to bring my car in, given the resourcing constraints on certain SCs I'd love to find a way to do this myself.

i do not have to get Tesla to reset the TPMS. I just mounted my winter rims last week, then started to drive and after a few minutes, message on screen asks me size of Rims and if I want to reset the TPMS.

Unfortunately, that's not the case for me. No matter what I try, resetting the TPMS myself does not fix the issue. The SC says I have to take it in every time I swap my wheel/tire sets.

Just to add 2 data points...I’ve done this on a 3/2015 85D and a 12/2014 P85D. Both had Gen 2 sensors. Just had to press the button on the service menu and drive for a few minutes.

If you are still under warranty, push them to update the system to gen2. They update cars when the gen1 tpms fails.

Just to add 2 data points...I’ve done this on a 3/2015 85D and a 12/2014 P85D. Both had Gen 2 sensors. Just had to press the button on the service menu and drive for a few minutes.

If you are still under warranty, push them to update the system to gen2. They update cars when the gen1 tpms fails.

Thanks, that's a great point. I'll talk to the SC and see what they say.

Seems like Gen 2 sensors don't have this issue. Anyone with Gen 1 TPMS not have my issue?

It is interesting that in the service center they register each time when changing wheels ... Another wheel size or other sensor IDs?
If other IDs are prescribed, then I think the problem can be solved by making clones of working sensors with programmable not original ones. Then the car will see the second set of wheels as well as the first and the service center does not need to be visited.

I keep getting the TPMS error message after multiple attempts to reset over the course of 70 miles or so the last three days on my 2016 MS. Will the SC reset the TPMS if you have aftermarket wheels? My annual service interval appointment is already scheduled.