Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Panel/backup question-SolarRoofInMass

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not the most Technical person here (we have several users who are, however).

With that out of the way, my backup loads panel has the breakers for my powerwalls. I have 2 powerwalls, and each one has a 240V 30 amp breaker in my backup loads panel. So, my backup loads panel has a quad breaker with both of the powerwalls connected.

My install was done in 2020, and I have a gateway version 1, so it wouldnt be the same gateway you have now, but I dont think that impacts this

Reactions: MASS-sunshine
Mine is a little different, Gateway version 2. My gateway has the four powerwall breakers in it, but my entire house feeds from the gateway, no subpanels.

I also love how nice and straight the labels were put on :)

1696012896802.png

So the Tesla electrician I've been assigned just got back to me - and he is saying that they don't need any breakers at all for "their/Tesla stuff" on my backup panel - keep in mind in case you've lost the thread, I have 400A service to the house, served as 2x200A panels next to each other in the basement. The mission right now for the last week has been moving a bunch of circuits so as to achieve 1 panel as Backup loads and 1 panel as "non-backed up" loads. We are nearing completion on that, and it's going to be tight, but with this information, we are going to use every damn slot in that Backup panel and I'll be able to achieve what we want backed up. This is all prep work of course being done by my electrician ahead of any scheduled date for actual install of solar roof/powerwalls.

Last edited:
So the Tesla electrician I've been assigned just got back to me - and he is saying that they don't need any breakers at all for "their/Tesla stuff" on my backup panel - keep in mind in case you've lost the thread, I have 400A service to the house, served as 2x200A panels next to each other in the basement. The mission right now for the last week has been moving a bunch of circuits so as to achieve 1 panel as Backup loads and 1 panel as "non-backed up" loads. We are nearing completion on that, and it's going to be tight, but with this information, we are going to use every damn slot in that Backup panel and I'll be able to achieve what we want backed up. This is all prep work of course being done by my electrician ahead of any scheduled date for actual install of solar roof/powerwalls.
I am also 400 amp supply, going to 2 200 amp sub panels. I put in 2 gateways and 2 ATS so everything is 100% covered, either by the PW's or generator.

I am also 400 amp supply, going to 2 200 amp sub panels. I put in 2 gateways and 2 ATS so everything is 100% covered, either by the PW's or generator.
Yep, understood, but the question was really about whether I have to leave any room in the backup panel to connect some Tesla stuff - and my guy is saying NO, not needed. But as for your setup, that's a really cool way to get whole house backup - in my case, while I debated having 2 gateways and all that would entail, I ultimately figured I could pull it off by figuring out what was really needed, combined some lighting-only circuits to reduce breaker sprawl, and then I am finding I still have room to backup some 'nice-to-haves' like the Home Theater, outdoor cameras/lighting, etc. So I think in the end, I'll have more than enough being backed up during grid outages to not only sustain but also have many creature comforts as well - bar lighting and fridge included!

Yep, understood, but the question was really about whether I have to leave any room in the backup panel to connect some Tesla stuff - and my guy is saying NO, not needed. But as for your setup, that's a really cool way to get whole house backup - in my case, while I debated having 2 gateways and all that would entail, I ultimately figured I could pull it off by figuring out what was really needed, combined some lighting-only circuits to reduce breaker sprawl, and then I am finding I still have room to backup some 'nice-to-haves' like the Home Theater, outdoor cameras/lighting, etc. So I think in the end, I'll have more than enough being backed up during grid outages to not only sustain but also have many creature comforts as well - bar lighting and fridge included!
I had a generation panel added, which is where I put all the PW breakers and solar. This way I had no breaker in my existing subpanel.
With that said, I wish I had put the breakers in the Gateways, or as Vines knows, put in a single 600 amp generation panel to land all my powerwalls and solar inverters.