Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Panic at the Disco er Hotel.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After a long drive, we stopped at the hotel first to check in, then to super charger. Car had 90 Km (in Canada so converted to metric yes!) came back out and NOTHING, would not power up! No screens only dome lights and ambient lights! Wife was on phone with Tesla roadside assistance (hold Actually) when I was plugging into a 110 outlet. App wouldn’t even connect to car, I had to manually open the port, then the car powered up! A. Is this normal B. Something I need service to check out ? Or C. Calm down newbie (only had my preowned 2016 for a month) something like this happens from time to time. Just freaked my wife out a bit. To be honest me too!

About once a month my 2018 MS will not power up when I enter the car. All screens blank, nothing responding. After 1-2 minutes of repeatedly stepping on the brake, opening and closing the door and maybe doing a hard or soft reboot the screens start coming on. Maybe they would have come on eventually if I just sat there and did nothing. I’ll try that next time. I’m not too worried about now it as the car eventually does boots up.

That's a known deep sleep problem. The fix is to force a hard reboot. Press your brake pedal and both scroll wheels and hold them until the MCU screen shows the Tesla "T", then release all as the reboot continues. Note you may have to hold the brake/buttons for what seems like forever. I've never timed it but it has gone as long as a minute. Once the T appears, the reboot may take another minute or two until everything is powered up and you can drive, but even then it may take another two minutes afterwards before the bluetooth connects back up to your phone or the GPS position data boots up.

It can be scary to find your car in what appears to be a dead state. While I don't know exactly what happens, I think of it as the car (like a PC) going into a sleep mode and nothing you do (moving mouse, pushing keyboard keys, mouse clicks, etc.) will wake the computer up. Only choice is to hold the power button until the computer powers down, then release it and push the power button again to restart the computer.

I have ONLY seen this state a couple of times (less than 10 in 2 years) and it has always been a case where I walked out to the car and wanted to start driving...sometimes after it sits in a parking lot for 5-10 days, other times I was away from the car for an hour or two and returned...no commonality on what put it in this state. The good news is that the hard reboot described above has always worked and I was on my way...

Hope this helps.