Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paradigm Shift Complete

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of my first EV, a Tesla Model Y this past May and have been driving and absolutely loving it. Just got home rooftop solar and am now charging the car at home with solar energy and am blown away!

Even in late October in Michigan I can charge my car at 5kW while still generating excess power to the grid, which I get credits for to use in the winter when there is less sun. My system is rated at 7.5kW, and yesterday we had a lot of sun, I generated 30kWh. Will be double this or more in the summer when the days are longer.

So amazing to be able to do this with today’s technology, and the best part is the cost is actually very competitive, the panels should last 25 years or more and will have paid for themselves in 10.

My kids are going to wonder why anyone ever drove a gas car!

Last edited:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I actually carry around a copy of our most recent electric power bill because it has a monthly summary for the entire year on the back. It shows that we power our entire home, AND two Tesla MS's, for about $34 FOR THE ENTIRE YEAR, courtesy of our Tesla Energy/SolarCity PV array. I do this because the concept is so foreign to most that they just can't/don't "get it." The power bill helps, but even then I marvel at how many supposedly intelligent adults seemingly have lost the ability to think rationally. (This does not bode well for our future and it concerns me greatly. I am at a loss for solutions however, other than telling as many people as I can hoping to find pockets of intelligent thinking.)

And then there's this, from yesterday's newspaper--it does NOT help to have intentional misinformation on our greatest global threat:

As Election Nears, Trump Makes a Final Push Against Climate Science

Back on-topic:

In our case, our ~8kw PV system paid for itself, in full, in 16 months--leaving a usable planet behind for others is just gravy:)

Thus, I'm confused by your long-ish payback period. Have you also included the cost savings from NOT having to pay for any gasoline, oil changes, brake pads, and all the other ICE vehicle costs, all of which you will never see again since that car was replaced by a Tesla? If you include the entirety of the financial transition I posit that your payback period is far, far shorter than you have stated. (And if you buy another Tesla to replace a second ICE vehicle, it's an even faster payback.)

Please let us all know and THANK YOU for being part of the solution--and: PLEASE TELL YOUR FRIENDS, FAMILY, AND NEIGHBORS!

Last edited:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I actually carry around a copy of our power bill because it has a monthly summary for the entire year on the back. It shows that we power our entire home, AND two Tesla MS's, for about $34 FOR THE ENTIRE YEAR, courtesy of our Tesla Energy/SolarCity PV array.

In our case, the PV system paid for themselves in about 16 months--I guess leaving a usable planet behind for others is just gravy:)

Thus, I'm confused by your long-ish payback period. Have you also included the cost savings from NOT having to pay for gasoline, oil changes, brake pads, and all the other ICE vehicle costs, all of which you will never see again since it was replaced by a Tesla?

Perhaps the payback period will be sooner. The 10 year estimate is just based on the solar panels vs buying power from the utility, not taking into account the Tesla. Also I wasn’t able to get solar through Tesla because they aren’t serving Michigan yet. Tesla provided pricing for home solar which was considerably lower than what I paid but couldn’t confirm when they would be able to install and I wanted it done this year.

Reactions: MitchMitch
Solar system payback depends a lot on your local utility pricing and policies.
Agreed, also depends on the local weather. We get cloudy days more often than not here, which is priced into my estimate. We get roughly 150 good sunny days per year here vs national average over 200, other places will definitely have a faster payback if they get more sun.
The prices of panels is likely to continue to drop, but the federal rebate is going down soon.

I think 10 years is pretty reasonable estimate - for much of the US.
Getting 16 months and including the transition from gas to EV - and then presumably not counting the cost of the Tesla - is a bit disingenuous.
Somehow, despite 8th year with solar, I haven't paid off 5% of my $80k Tesla.
Now - buy a used Leaf - and I can get on board with quick payback. And sometimes with cheap leases on low range EVs - you can get very fast (even instant) payoffs. Instant only if you lease the solar also of course.

In my area of 11 cents electricity, my payback was closer to 15 years. Totally comfortable with that given super low interest rate environment. But convincing others is tough especially when average homeownership length is less and the resale value bump is unclear.

I think 10 years is pretty reasonable estimate - for much of the US.
Getting 16 months and including the transition from gas to EV - and then presumably not counting the cost of the Tesla - is a bit disingenuous.
Somehow, despite 8th year with solar, I haven't paid off 5% of my $80k Tesla.
Now - buy a used Leaf - and I can get on board with quick payback. And sometimes with cheap leases on low range EVs - you can get very fast (even instant) payoffs. Instant only if you lease the solar also of course.

In my area of 11 cents electricity, my payback was closer to 15 years. Totally comfortable with that given super low interest rate environment. But convincing others is tough especially when average homeownership length is less and the resale value bump is unclear.
While you make a valid point that the Tesla has a high upfront cost that will take time to recoup, if you compare it to the average new vehicle cost it isn’t actually that much more. Total cost of ownership will likely be less for the Tesla vs average new gas vehicle, while enjoying a superior driving experience and polluting less.