Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking button not working on gear stick

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long time lurker, first time poster...so go easy on me.

My 2006 75D X has been a great car. But for the past several weeks, the parking button on the gear stick would not work - i couldn't get the car into park. It was very random and intermittent - usually putting the car in neutral and opening the door would get the X into park. I took it to Costa Mesa SC and the service advisor said he has never heard of the issue and without a time stamp on when the event occurred, they wouldnt be able to duplicate the issue and couldnt fix it.

After several weeks of annoyance, booked mobile service (which was rather quick compared to booking an appointment at Costa Mesa SC or Lake Forest SC), and had the technician come to the house..

The mobile service tech came on time (even called in advance to give me a heads up with an ETA), and he was able to duplicate the issue within a few minutes. After about 20 minute of diagnosing with his laptop, he was able to find the faulty gear control module in the steering column - he replaced it and everything is OK now. He said that for some reason, the gear stick wouldn't send the control signal when parking button was pushed...go figure!

The point of this post is to:

1. share my experience with the unresponsive gear stick on my X
2. inform others that having a picture or a video of issue with time/date is very helpful (which I didn't have but worked out anyway) with the service techs
3. Big thumbs up for the Tesla Mobile Service team - what a freaking awesome service and a great experience! This experience made my overall experience with Tesla that much better and made me do something I was just thinking about - put in an order for an Y.