Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parts delays in insurance claim, 3 months and counting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So gutted - I had a tyre blow out on my classic and much loved 85D... it made a mess!!

Luckily the insurance company have agreed to pay up - but it's been 3 months and the garage fixing it cannot get hold of the parts to fix it.

Silly me, no courtesy car either, so no car = grumpy!

Any advice from anyone?? All I get is "It's Tesla's fault" - apparently no one can figure out which wiring harness is needed for the indicator, and the only option right now is to rewire the entire car with a whole new loom.... crazy.

Apparently there has been a supply chain disruption for some time due to Covid. My M3LR has got a squeaking noise in the front suspension, a well-known issue of the upper control arm ball joints. Booked an appointment with Guildford SC in mid-May, got cancelled and rescheduled twice because "the parts have not arrived". The new appointment is now on 12 July🤞🤞

My Tesla 3LR is has been in the approved repairer for 6 weeks now, still waiting on parts, no timeframe. They ring me every week to tell me no news from Tesla, reassuringly though they have cars from loads of manufacturers in the same situation due to "global supply chain" issues. As wasn't my fault I'm prancing around in a brand new Merc GLE Chelsea Tractor.

Thanks for the input everyone. We have found the part! But it seems to be an entire front loom, and then they might transplant just the indicator wiring rather than replace the whole loom. Seems sensible I guess?

The next bad news, as expected really - the loom is on back order so no idea when it might arrive. Tempted to find one myself if they'll accept it!

No loan car as I'm out of warranty.

Thanks for the input everyone. We have found the part! But it seems to be an entire front loom, and then they might transplant just the indicator wiring rather than replace the whole loom. Seems sensible I guess?

The next bad news, as expected really - the loom is on back order so no idea when it might arrive. Tempted to find one myself if they'll accept it!

Surely the insurance company provide the loan car irrespective of your tesla warranty?
Which provider are you with?

Audi's wiring loom used to come from Ukraine, so there are some folks who will wait a bit to fix their ICE cars too.

I have been waiting since May 12th to get my car back after being hit from the side with minor damage and was told it is another 3-4 weeks out from being finished due to party delays also over $10k worth of damage from a small and "Minor" hit! This is crazy!
image_67197697.JPG

Update: The car has been written off! :mad:

I am completely gutted, really upset, I loved this car so much. It was a "good one" after 70k miles, still had no squeaks or rattles

And goodbye free supercharging :(

Off to the "For Sale" section for me. At least LV are paying out a good fair price.

Update: The car has been written off! :mad:

I am completely gutted, really upset, I loved this car so much. It was a "good one" after 70k miles, still had no squeaks or rattles

And goodbye free supercharging :(

Off to the "For Sale" section for me. At least LV are paying out a good fair price.
Wow…. Seriously?

Did they say why it was written off specifically? Was it just the wiring loom for the light cluster or did something else get damaged like the front drive unit?

Wow…. Seriously?

Did they say why it was written off specifically? Was it just the wiring loom for the light cluster or did something else get damaged like the front drive unit?
No other damage apart from what you can see, body panels and some related bits hanging off.

The wiring loom didn't help - the part only comes as a complete front section, so they'd have to rewire the entire front - removing a lot of stuff, so labour costs are stupid high.

They also said it doesn't help because the scrap value is so high right now, it makes the write off make more sense. Totally crazy.

I'd be gutted too. It might be worth £X but I'm sure it was worth more to you in terms of familiarity and knowing all of its foibles, etc.

Quite surprised it has been written off though given you haven't had a loan car. Having a loan car for 3 months would've certainly accelerated any write off vs repair consideration.

Reactions: BenJH and Casss
Likewise can't believe they've written that off - seems highly wasteful in one sense, but maybe it's also driven by a high demand for stripped parts.

Sorry that means you're losing your cherished car though because of a wiring loom design.