Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parts for Model 3: Still long delays from Tesla service?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A friend of mine got into a fender bender in his Model 3. The Tesla-authorized body shop says parts (bumper cover, hood, other misc stuff) are going to take 4-6 weeks to get from Tesla.

I thought Tesla and Elon specifically said they were improving their supply chain service last summer so that there wouldn’t be these long delays. Anyone else have intel? Any way to expedite or speed up the requests (eg via customer service rep)?

If this really how it is, I hope I never get into an accident that requires any new parts!

Are you currently in SoCal or NY? I was at the Pomona SC last week and they have a separate body shop there.... I think 80% of the people having appointments there were for the body shop. You could give them a call to see if they have the parts.

I have been waiting 6 months to hear from the SC, waiting for parts to replace the brightwork (chrome) around the windows that were scratched at delivery. I figured they forgot about me. I emailed the service manager but still haven't heard back in a couple weeks. Time to escalate i guess...

My 3 was struck by a Toyota pickup in the left rear of the car. It was repaired at a non-certified shop, and they got the door, quarter panel, wheel, door handle, fender liner, and associated clips/trim in three weeks to the day... which was exactly how long Tesla said it would take. I'm picking up the completed car today and have no complaints.

I have been waiting 6 months to hear from the SC, waiting for parts to replace the brightwork (chrome) around the windows that were scratched at delivery. I figured they forgot about me. I emailed the service manager but still haven't heard back in a couple weeks. Time to escalate i guess...
There is something wrong with that. My new 3 had some problems, took it into the shop, mentioned the chrome piece was damaged at delivery and I have a due bill. It was replaced same day.

Based on my experience...yeah...major problems with parts. Red light runner got me on January 26th of this year. Everybody was fine, no airbags deployed on either car. They T-boned me, crushed in driver side door and left front fender panel. Door stuck in place, but bent back a bit so it never really closed. Car didn't notice the impact at all (not sure if that is a good thing or bad thing...but I found it to be odd).

Was hell trying to find a shop, eventually got in touch with [email protected]. My guy has been great about staying in touch, he's nice and he tries to help. Unfortunately, he's in a bad spot. It doesn't seem like Tesla is doing much to help his team - other than allowing them to take abuse from angry customers. I try to be nice, not sure if I am though. Hopefully I am the least mean person he has to deal with. Hopefully.

2 orders for me. The second order was received by Tesla on Feb 8th. On March 1, everything had shipped out except for that front fender body panel. It has been exactly like that ever since.

Understanding things might be crazy there, I just wanted to know if the wait was going to be a weeks, months or years thing. Had a electric road trip planned with my brother, really just wanted to know if I needed to change that. Body shop support could not get a straight answer from the parts group - who went to a canned response of "the distribution center is still working on clearing the backlog" (week after week after week).

All of the parts took a long time, but the majority took about a month. That damn e-coated fender panel is the hold up and I just don't get it. Tesla.com quotes 2 week delivery on new car orders as of right now. I analyzed some of the photos from the website (forgot what mine looks like), and sure enough...the new ones are coming equipped with both front fender panels.

As a shareholder, I think this is a lousy way to treat our customer base. As the customer, it's painful. The one and only option I have is to wait for them to get around to it. Since my reservation on 3/31/16, I have spent 29 months (26 for production, 3+... for parts) waiting. I've managed to experience about 6 months of truly owning one. I liked it.