Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Passenger seat adjuster switch broken. Again.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This seems like a good place for an aftermarket supplier to step in with some replacement low profile knobs. I'll have to look at them closer to see if you can pull them out and replace them easily or if it's more work than that. My son's a 3d design/3d printer guru and maybe I can get him to look at it.
Ooh, I'd love to 3D print a replacement if that's doable! Haven't had a chance to investigate it much yet, not sure how involved the replacement is.

My seat button broke this week. I lodged a request in the tesla app and they refused warranty coverage. Reason they gave was I must have been forceful. Even after countless examples of others with the problem they won’t come to the party. I’m so disappointed in their denial responsibility approach.

• Informative
Reactions: afadeev
I wish a third party vendor would step up and make a more robust version (or Tesla make an update to it). They are plenty strong for normal usage, but unfortunately easy to snag, bump or have the errant passenger that thinks it's a manual adjustment reef up on it.

Ooh, I'd love to 3D print a replacement if that's doable! Haven't had a chance to investigate it much yet, not sure how involved the replacement is.
The problem is that both the peg, and the button that seats on top of it, are way too fragile and exposed.
Outer buttons tend to come off first, and can sometimes be re-attached. The inner "catch" clips that hold them onto pegs eventually brake. Right around that time, you will notice that the peg itself is starting to lean, has cracked, or has broken off altogether.

FWIF, the buttons ARE available as stand-alone replacement items:
  • Seat 1R switch BTN RECL RH (1098843-00-E) $10.00
  • Seat 1R switch BTN CUSH RH (1098842-00-D) $11.00
If the stalk is broken, you need to replace the assembly:
  • Seat 1R RHD DRIVER SW 8WY (1098530-00-F) $105

My seat button broke this week. I lodged a request in the tesla app and they refused warranty coverage. Reason they gave was I must have been forceful. Even after countless examples of others with the problem they won’t come to the party. I’m so disappointed in their denial responsibility approach.

Remember the time you (and everyone else) were cheering for not having to bargain with a dealer when buying a new car? How cool it was to buy directly from an OEM?
Well, this is when the time comes to pay the piper. The OEM has diametrically opposite financial incentives then the owner, and if Tesla wants to save money on warranty repairs, it only needs to deny warranty claims. In mass. Willy nilly.
And there is nothing you can do about that, outside of the court system.
Because there is no independent dealer to mediate between the vehicle owner and the greedy self-serving OEM anymore, is there?

1691508013961.png

HTH,
a

Can we add another
can I add another incident to this, they wanted well over $300 to fix a simple plastic piece for the driver’s window lever… I mean I could probably patch it and make it better. And then the passenger upper seat reclining button broke too! And wanted another $130 for that replacement.

I can assure all buttons have been used with the same force of strength and these seem to be the most vulnerable. There is definitely something happening with the design flaw.

I have reported a complaint for a recall to get these replaced. Firstly, you have to be in park to get the windows back up if you can still push them down, and wait until it is done going back up before you can continue driving. Also, I have never had a vehicle be so cheaply made to be so expensively repaired.

For those who want to do the same…

This should be brought up, this issue shouldn’t be happening, especially at such large scales.

… thanks for listening to my rant 😅 I was so upset that I was denied the repairs to these manufacturer defects