Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Passenger seat adjuster switch broken. Again.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve had an M3P for around 15 months and thanks to COVID, it only has 7,000 miles on the clock.

For the second time in the last few months, the passenger seat adjuster switch has snapped off, making it impossible to position the front passenger seat and needing another visit to the service centre.

Once was annoying, but twice seems to suggest that there is a design issue of some sort. Has anyone else had this issue?

The only thing I can think is that it may be positioned badly and of weak construction. Perhaps it keeps getting knocked as people enter and exit the vehicle leading to it weakening and then breaking?

I’d be interested to know if this issue has affected anyone else.

Reactions: APotatoGod
me too. It just kept breaking. They replaced it once under warranty. I got a new M3 and it almost immediately broke. THe weird thing is the drivers side has never broken even though I use that far more. Either my wife has the hands of the incredible hulk.. or there's a design issue

Interesting that more people are reporting this issue now. When I first raised this, there were very few responses and on another thread I was told I was careless and it was a non- issue.

Hopefully more people post their experiences if this is a real thing and Tesla might take note.

I had one of mine break also, but it was from someone that didn't realize is wasn't a "manual" adjuster and the reefed up on it. I think that is mostly what happens and why it's always on the passenger side... people not familiar with the car. Fix would be to make the switch harder to push on, like buttons or lower profile knobs.
I bet this is probably the root cause for most of it. Given Tesla sold literally millions of these vehicles, if it really was a huge issue just with regular use, I presume the reported prevalence of this would be a lot more. If you treat it like a manual lever (which is probably what most people are used to), I can totally see it easily break.

Reactions: father_of_6
You got a link? I need to fix mine too.
This is the seller I bought it from:

I don't remember why I chose that one. There are a bunch on ebay for around the same price. They are probably all the same.

Interesting that more people are reporting this issue now. When I first raised this, there were very few responses and on another thread I was told I was careless and it was a non- issue.

I've just noticed this thread just now, yet have had my passenger seat knobs cluster replaced three (3) times since 2018. Once under warranty, and paid for the other two experiences.
The knobs are just flimsy, and the control stalks are wafer thin.
I've had both the stalk and the plastic tabs inside the buttons break over time.

I had one of mine break also, but it was from someone that didn't realize is wasn't a "manual" adjuster and the reefed up on it. I think that is mostly what happens and why it's always on the passenger side... people not familiar with the car.

I assumed guerilla hands at first, as well. Pretty sure that's not the case.
Everyone in the family was properly educated after the first part broke, and the Model 3 doesn't get random passengers.
Yet, we had instances #2 and #3, likely from accidental brushing of bags and gear alongside the seat.

The problem is that the buttons protrude prominently out from the side of the seat, and are in no way protected or guarded by anything.
That, plus the parts are super-flimsy cheap, and the opposite of durable.

It is what it is.

a

Reactions: Stranger Dings
I've just noticed this thread just now, yet have had my passenger seat knobs cluster replaced three (3) times since 2018. Once under warranty, and paid for the other two experiences.
I've had both the stalk and the plastic tabs inside the buttons break over time.

Everyone in the family was properly educated after the first part broke, and the Model 3 doesn't get random passengers.
Yet, we had instances #2 and #3, likely from accidental brushing of bags and gear alongside the seat.

The problem is that the buttons protrude prominently out from the side of the seat, and are in no way protected or guarded by anything.

It is what it is.

a
I guess that explains why some people have this happen and some never. Personally, my passengers never have their bags in the front seat, it's put in the rear seats or the trunk. So I guess without things that can potentially get caught on it, it doesn't break.

For those this is a chronic occurrence, maybe a cover over it would be a good solution, something that can flip open when in use and clip closed when not.

It is what it is.

a
This seems like a good place for an aftermarket supplier to step in with some replacement low profile knobs. I'll have to look at them closer to see if you can pull them out and replace them easily or if it's more work than that. My son's a 3d design/3d printer guru and maybe I can get him to look at it.

I’m on my third now and I’m leaving it broken. I’ll get if fixed for one final time when I’m getting rid of the car in 12 months time.

Reactions: afadeev