Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Passenger seat broke - first out of warranty failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sorka

Feb 28, 2015
Merced, CA
Moved passenger seat all the way forward to vacuum behind and underneath it tonight.

When I tried to put it back, the seat only started tracking on the left track. The right track was frozen.

I pulled the flexible cable out of the worm gear on that side. The flex cable turns and the square end looks fine. So the failure is the gear itself. My guess is that something got stuck in the track and then broke the teeth of the gear when it tried to move.

Headed out of town for the weekend. I'll disassemble on Monday to track down the failed part.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
Not broken after all. The flex cable square end came out of the square worm gear receiver. I'm pretty sure it was my daughter's metal water bottle that was under the seat that caused it to slip out. I removed the end and put it back in but it doesn't seat easily. I didn't realize this until I unbolted the seat from the frame rails. I would have unbolted the rails, but the T40s were blocked on the front by the rails themselves.

Normally to unbolt the entire seat, you'd move it forward, undo the rear bolts, then move it backwards and undo the front bolts.

Reactions: KSG-P85DL+
I did end up removing the whole seat but knowing after the fact what had actually happened it wasn't necessary. It's took tight to get a picture and it's assembled now so it wouldn't help to take a picture of that location.

The trick is getting the square head of the cable aligned with the receiver gear on the track.

I think the cable comes apart in two which allows you to insert the free end into the track and then you can rotate it until it lines up with the other end of the cable.