Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Passenger side front door weird behavior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick question. I park my other car next to my X on the passenger side. If I were to open the passenger side door, the door would open slightly at first. If I pull it out a little more, the door swings out hard and hit my other car. The driver side doesn't do it. I just want to check if my X hates my other car or if I stumble onto a problem.

Thanks

When I approach the driver side from the front, the door barely opens until I pass it and then swings open. I don't think it ever swings open hard, but we may have different definitions. Obviously the passenger door doesn't self present, but the behavior sounds similar. It sounds to me like the other car was just the right distance away to confuse the door or the door has a faulty sensor. In either case, it would be difficult to tell until/unless it happens again, and unfortunately, it will probably be difficult for service to diagnose unless it happens consistently, but I would certainly mention it to them.

Quick question. I park my other car next to my X on the passenger side. If I were to open the passenger side door, the door would open slightly at first. If I pull it out a little more, the door swings out hard and hit my other car. The driver side doesn't do it. I just want to check if my X hates my other car or if I stumble onto a problem.

Thanks
First, for informational reasons, the front passenger door uses the FWD proximity sensing data that is directly aft. So, if an object is not sensed by the FWD, but is beside the front passenger door, it will swing out and hit the object; i.e., a pole. The same goes for the other scenario. If a pole is next to the FWD but not the front door, the front door will only partially open.
Second, in your scenario, the FWD senses your car next to it. The front door only partially opens. In order to open all the way, you must apply force to override the tension. When you override the tension, the door becomes free with no resistance regardless of the proximity that you just overrode. Usually the force you applied to override causes the door to swing open with inertia from the override causing it to hit the object hard. I am pretty sure the door under it's own power would motor open hitting the object hard in the scenario you described. The only time I have seen my car power open hitting an object is if the FWD did not see the object blocking the front door.

• Informative
Reactions: aesculus
First, for informational reasons, the front passenger door uses the FWD proximity sensing data that is directly aft. So, if an object is not sensed by the FWD, but is beside the front passenger door, it will swing out and hit the object; i.e., a pole. The same goes for the other scenario. If a pole is next to the FWD but not the front door, the front door will only partially open.
I am not sure this is true simply because the passenger door doesn't open into my wife when I press the open button on the center screen before she is past it (when coming from the front of the vehicle and not beside the FWD).
ETA: I'm not saying the FWD sensor isn't used, or that it isn't the only sensor used, but for the door to hit a post because it isn't detected, it is likely not the end of the door (post is further forward).
Second, in your scenario, the FWD senses your car next to it. The front door only partially opens. In order to open all the way, you must apply force to override the tension. When you override the tension, the door becomes free with no resistance regardless of the proximity that you just overrode. Usually the force you applied to override causes the door to swing open with inertia from the override causing it to hit the object hard. I am pretty sure the door under it's own power would motor open hitting the object hard in the scenario you described. The only time I have seen my car power open hitting an object is if the FWD did not see the object blocking the front door.
This is a good point, and I will add that in my experience, when you have to override it, closing a little before opening usually makes the override require much less force. This is only an option when the door opens enough to allow it, but the term slightly in the OP is open to interpretation.

Thanks
Are you pulling the door or do you mean the car itself backing out a bit?