Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pay for Supercharging???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
let’s say, a friend of mine Lost your phone, or has no money in his wallet linked to the tesla app……. How can I pay for his supercharging?

like if we both went to the supercharger, and he didn’t have money, or he couldn’t pay for charging, or maybe I even owed him money, and I told him I would pay him with supercharged miles, how would I do this?

if I’m at a gas station, and my brother is broke, I can pay for his gas, but when it comes to an electric car how do I pay for someone else charging?

• Funny
Reactions: Velcade
You can go into his Tesla account and update the new credit card info, but I wouldn’t do that period. Don’t know why he would have a Tesla and have no credit card credentials to at least Supercharge.

Fred
OK but let’s say I want to pay his charge miles, let’s say he’s my boyfriend, and I just want to pay for them. How would I pay for his charge time on his car with my app?

Upvote 0
The only thing you can do at this time is send them the cash equivalent using your preferred (non-Tesla) phone app after the Supercharging session has completed.

The Tesla vehicle is registered to only one Tesla account. To use the Supercharger network or purchase items from the Tesla online store there has to be a credit card on file with Tesla.

Tesla is a technology company trying to be a automobile company; There is no equivalent to an Amazon gift card for Tesla owners. Tesla is not ready to an be a e-retailer; maybe someday.

Last edited:
Upvote 1
OK, is there anyway to gift charge miles? Like I have 10,000 charge miles let’s say, they expire in six months, isn’t there anyway I can transfer some of them to someone else?
And now we get to the crux of the question. You want to transfer mile you'll never use to someone else. Why not ask that up front rather than a series of hypothetical scenarios? I could tell from your first post you were up to something.

Upvote 0
You can go into his Tesla account and update the new credit card info, but I wouldn’t do that period. Don’t know why he would have a Tesla and have no credit card credentials to at least Supercharge.
You can use a prepaid credit card (with whatever amount you want).

This is recommended to do when you sale your Tesla directly, so the new owner can drive home and uses a Supercharger until Tesla valid the transfer of the car to a new account.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Bottom line is: NO YOU CANNOT transfer your free Supercharger miles to him, nor pay
for his use at the Supercharger through your credit card.
That is sad. Tesla Is going to give me about 8000 free charge miles, because they messed up. And I was hoping to give my friend, 1000 of those miles, because they’re going to expire. I don’t see me traveling 8000 miles, or getting 8000 supercharged miles in six months. I know I’m going to be charging at home, overnight

Upvote 0
That’s the thing, technically I did pay for those miles. Tesla charged me an extra $500, on my account, that they said they won’t take back, so I have to give them the check from my loan plus an extra $500 cash because they’re not part of my loan. So technically I did pay for those miles, they’re just trying to fix it by giving me free charge miles. So I can’t take it as a grain of salt, because it did come out of my pocket. For them to then expire, in six months. You feel me.

Upvote 0
That’s the thing, technically I did pay for those miles. Tesla charged me an extra $500, on my account, that they said they won’t take back, so I have to give them the check from my loan plus an extra $500 cash because they’re not part of my loan. So technically I did pay for those miles, they’re just trying to fix it by giving me free charge miles. So I can’t take it as a grain of salt, because it did come out of my pocket. For them to then expire, in six months. You feel me.

That situation sucks! You have already taken delivery? If not, try and talk them into giving you Tesla Store credit instead of Supercharger miles that there is no way in hell you will end up using.

Keith

Upvote 0