Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Payment method

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got my delivery date given to me, it'll be in 12 days, woooooot! Finally.

I do have AMEX cc and at the moment I need 50,000 reward points to transfer to Finnair in order to have a seat upgrade on an upcoming long haul trip. I am still about 15,000 short.

So one way to do this is via Paypal's service called Xoom. There will be a fee. For a £15,000 transfer to a UK bank account the fee is £97.99. It is 0.65% (I've checked this as I initially put £20,000). That will give me 15,000 membership rewards point plus I have an annual bonus of 10,000 reward points which will be met if I made purchase of £15,000 (not sure how quickly this would be applied). So, a £15,000 transfer will give me 25,000 reward points for less than £100. If I looked at Finnair website, buying 15,000 points cost £193. So it's definitely a deal.

I'm only going to pay £15,000 as that will get me enough points in the immediate future for my Finnair, there's no need to incur further charges! The rest I will pay with bank transfer. My max daily limit is £25,000.

tl;dr... Yes, you can use your AMEX as part payment for your Tesla, I will use Paypal/Xoom but I understand Revolut/Western Union are other options. There will be a charge, but if you need your AMEX reward points for something specific and with a time limit, then it may be worth it!

Check that Amex don't also charge a fee....I suspect they will as this would be classed as a cash advance.
Check that Tesla accept Xoom payments
Seems a lot of hassle for an overall saving of about £90.

• Disagree
Reactions: NigelT
Has anyone in the UK successfully bought their TESLA on amex? I searched plastiq and also paypal from other threads - but couldn't really see the costs.

I have a business amex (just small business not corporate) and I have just shy of £50k to pay on company car purchase....

I'd happily pay a fee (to a point) for a service - but don't want to get bitten twice with fees from amex and a third party - just putting it out there incase anyone else has managed this feat!

Has anyone in the UK successfully bought their TESLA on amex? I searched plastiq and also paypal from other threads - but couldn't really see the costs.

I have a business amex (just small business not corporate) and I have just shy of £50k to pay on company car purchase....

I'd happily pay a fee (to a point) for a service - but don't want to get bitten twice with fees from amex and a third party - just putting it out there incase anyone else has managed this feat!
They won’t let you pay with plastic, I asked. Bank transfer only for the balance I’m afraid.

You could use Billhop, it was created for exactly this purpose (charges Amex, doesn't appear as a financial service, recipient gets a BACS transfer). However it comes with a costly 3% fee, so you really need to want to trigger the Amex benefit.

We do a lot with Amex and as well as posting here I also emailed our account manager - and they have actually just launched a bank to bank payment so it will only be 1.15% for this transaction and tesla will be happy as they receive it as a bank payment!! If anyone needs a referral code for amex 'start a conversation' and I'll send you one back!! I get points and you'll get loads for a newly opened card and will sail through the initial spend to trigger bonus points if buying a tesla or the autopilot etc

The third party apps i had found and others added to above charge a fee, plus amex might as well - so this bank payment on amex might not be for anyone who already has tonnes of points (alot of my clients do as I advise as part of our overall reviews on how to maximise amex use!) so for mega high turnover businesses already maximising their points then this 1% fee isn't worth it for cashflow/cost to the business, but for those not yet at that level and who use the points rather than drawing money from the business - whether employed or at director level - this is a great option

My Account manager says - now you’re able to use American Express to pay off your business credit card statements / HMRC & Tax Bills / PAYE / and suppliers via our payment portal. In essence you would earn 1-1 membership rewards for paying these off the platform for a small processing fee.

up to 10k fee 1.25%
10k - 100k fee 1.15%
over 100k fee 1%

it takes 2-3 days to set up so I'm off to do it now!