Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pearl White Paint - Aftermarket touch-up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have little bits of paint chipped on the bumper, and am worried that even the Tesla-certified body shops won't be able to match the paint correctly. My concern comes out of a conversation with a rep at one of the shops who said "Tesla doesn't use their own paints - they buy from others - the same ones we buy from" --- is that even true?

What also has me scratching my head is in Tesla's online store where you can buy paint correction kits for touch-ups, they have every color available except Pearl White. I can't help but to think there is a deliberate reason for this... not sure what.

I have little bits of paint chipped on the bumper...

[On the] Tesla's online store ... you can buy paint correction kits for touch-ups,
they have every color available except Pearl White.

There is a White (PBCW). But there not enough information to know the exact white flavor?

Has anyone tried the MSM Tesla paint touch up kit? If so, does the color match well?
I have a Pearl White Model 3 and I ordered a set of Paint Pens from Automotive Touch Up.

- Paint Pen: Grey Primer (Sandable Primer)

- Paint Pen: White Water Pearl (PPSW)

>> Include two Pens:
>> 'Step 1' Ground Coat
>> 'Step 2' Mid Coat

- Paint Pen: High Gloss Clear Coat

I had some sand paper, but they sale also a little assorted set

The total cost was $35, Tesla kit is $55.

paint-layer.jpg

paint-pen-clearcoat-sm.jpg

Last edited:
The reason Pearl White is going to be hard to touch up is because it's a tri-color paint. It has a pearl layer in addition to base/clear. Touch-up paint is usually just mixed base/clear together and you can't add the pearl into the mix.

Red is also a multi-coat paint so it has some matching troubles, but white is MUCH easier to see any color defects.

You can buy from Dr ColorChip like what is already linked, but note that it won't look quite as good as any other paint that is touched up. They even make you check a box noting that it's a tri-color pearl paint so matching is an issue.

Either way, touch-ups will still look better than nicks or chips anyways, so you might as well touch it up and it'll probably be mostly unnoticable.