Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pensacola Supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am curious. Why there are no Tesla Superchargers in Pensacola, FL, a city popular with tourists? I noticed Pensacola was even removed from "2nd Qt. 2023" list. Superchargers on I-10 or Gulf Breeze are not convenient if you are visiting Pensacola and want to drive around the area. I have tried Tesla's Destination charger on Orange Beach, but takes over 5 hours for a 180 miles charge.

I am curious. Why there are no Tesla Superchargers in Pensacola, FL, a city popular with tourists? I noticed Pensacola was even removed from "2nd Qt. 2023" list. Superchargers on I-10 or Gulf Breeze are not convenient if you are visiting Pensacola and want to drive around the area. I have tried Tesla's Destination charger on Orange Beach, but takes over 5 hours for a 180 miles charge. The reality is even when Tesla does finally install a charger close to where it’s needed, it might be a detour to get there. That’s the reality
As a former a Tesla fan boy, I no longer defend anything Tesla does. Don’t count on anything they do to make actual logical sense. Are you familiar with the supercharger map on their site? It does list a charger 8 miles away from Pensacola beach at 1430 tiger point Blvd. My answer to your question is Tesla has ignored or underserved certain parts of the country. They seem to try and strategically place chargers a certain distance from each other. The reality is we are still 5 years away from them having a more flowing logical network throughout the country. Even when they commit to building chargers in underserved areas (such as southwest oh), they often result in long delays or long start to finish times. For example the 2 near me that just opened were direly needed 5 years ago. They started construction in august of 2022 and didn’t open until 3/31. There are myriad other instances of this happening in Ohio. Maybe contractors doing horrible install job contributes to the problem. Until Destin won the q 1 2023 supercharger vote, there was nothing remotely close between Pensacola beach and Western Panama City beach. Another gaffe no one would really understand considering how popular Destin is.

Upvote 0
We are not privy to all the statistical metrics that Tesla collects to qualify any site for building superchargers. I would think that a lot of considerations go into placing a supercharger. I can only imagine the cost and infrastructure that goes into putting one into service.

For all we know, that place may not be ideal for a supercharger despite being a tourist location. It has to fit the need and just being a "tourist" location may simply not be enough for a supercharger.

Upvote 0