Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Peraves AG eTracer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bobw

Tesla Reader
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2006
Dallas, TX
I was hunting for the video on evo.co.uk to go with their review of the RHD Tesla Roadster. I ran across their review of the Peraves Monotracer. That led to the Peraves AG website, and that led to their eTracer.

p7168370.jpg

I first saw video of an enclosed motorcycle with retractable landing gear years ago. Now the Swiss manufacturer has electrified it with an AC Propulsion drivesystem.

NYTimes: AC Propulsion and Peraves to Produce Motorcycle That Won X Prize
...The price is 79,350 euros, or more than $108,000...
x-tracer_team_bio_r5.jpg

AC Propulsion, Peraves to Bring X-PRIZE Winner E-Tracer to U.S. Market

AC Propulsion today announced it has signed a Letter of Intent with Peraves AG to bring the Progressive Automotive X PRIZE-winning E-Tracer to market in the United States. Two weeks ago, Peraves’ E-Tracer took top honors in the Alternative Class (Tandem) category at the X Prize awards ceremony. Peraves, whose E-Tracer is powered by AC Propulsion’s electric drive system, becomes the first X PRIZE winner to announce production.
AC Propulsion and Peraves plan to bring 100 units to market starting in 2011. The E-Tracer will be assembled at AC Propulsion in San Dimas, California. 21st Century Motoring will serve as Peraves’ North American agency and as a key player in the sales and marketing of the E-Tracer.

Last edited:
By the way, this takes the "need yoga lessons for ingress and egress" situation to a new level.

TEG, did you sit in the one at the Plug In America party last night?

Yeah, it's clearly tougher than most cars, but I don't think it's that bad. I think quite a few people would prefer it to what you have to do to get in to a Roadster. I know I'm not typical, but I'd definitely be willing to live with it.

Yeah, Stefano was nice enough to let me try it on for size.
The acrobatics to get in and out were more involved than with the Roadster. I guess part of it is that you really do have to climb up into it, unlike the Roadster where you can use gravity to help you fall into place.

I think they'll be in tough if $108,000 is the price...they might have a market right now, but in a few years, that sum would buy a rather nice whole EV (Model S / Fisker / Infiniti / Audi)...it might only become the favourite of the motorcycle crowd.

I didn't talk to them about price. I assume it was the same as seen in the earlier press releases.

They sold 30 gas-powered ones last year but have stopped those altogether for now. 2012 will be electric-only and they had orders for 10 around the start of the year. It would be nice if they can hit the numbers they did last year as that was far above their historical output of 3 to 5 vehicles. They may still do a gas-powered one in the future but it would have a different engine than the BMW 1200cc they'd been using.